cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus DSL-N66U setup

TerFar
Dabbler

Asus DSL-N66U setup

I've got a new Asus DSL-N66U dual VDSLADSL router that I cannot get to work. I've attached a copy of the WAN settings which all look OK to me (login and pw are blanked out).
It seems to be connected to DSL fine and reports the Internet as UP. But it reports 'no response from remote server'. I've cloned the MAC address from the Plusnet router (though I didn't think this necessary), updated to the latest BIOS 1.0.7.7. I am connected to the Chichester Exchange SDCHCHS.
6 REPLIES 6
awahwah
Grafter

Re: Asus DSL-N66U setup

Does it gain a Public IP? If so, can you ping your Gateway?
If none of these, I'd check Authentication (protocol and user credentials)
Are there any logs produced? That may give you a clue.
I've not used the Hardware, so this is just basic stuff.
awahwah
Grafter

Also, nail PPoE as you auth type.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I use the RT-N56U & in my settings I have "EnableUPnP" "On", your's is "Off". Hope that helps.
TerFar
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies. I would have replied sooner but yesterday I was too busy to play with the new router, so I didn't set it back up until this morning.
When I checked the logs, I found "CHAP Authentication" failed. Idiot me had typed (repeatedly the same) error in the login. Hence the router reporting that it was connected to the Internet but no response from the distant router. Pity the distant router didn't send an error message!
Thanks for all your help.
For anyone else wanting to set up the ASUS DSL.N66U with Plusnet, I've copied the setup page again below.
mc74
Dabbler

Has anyone had any success getting this router to replace both the BT Openreach\Technicolour setup on fibre?
I can't even get as far as the DSL light staying on.
TerFar
Dabbler

Once I got the correct login entered, it's worked fine with the N66U plugged directly into the BT Master socket (i.e. without the BT supplied fibre modem, so just using the N66U). But I had the DSL light up immediately once I had run through the setup. If the DSL light doesn't light up (and presuming it is plugged into the master socket with a good cable and that the BT Openreach modem and Technicolour router still work), it suggests a bad N66U.