cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you seeing issues reconnecting (with your own router)?

bovine

Are you seeing issues reconnecting (with your own router)?

Hi All,
I have a ASUS RT-66ACU which has been working perfectly for nearly a year now (was double NAT'ing with ADSL for a while, been on plus.net fibre for around 6 months now).
In the last week or so I've been seeing disconnects and then struggling to get the ASUS to reconnect..
Since around Thursday the ASUS can't authenticate at all ( tried factory reset, upgrading firmware, factory reset, factory reset again, different cables between router and modem etc ...)
Seems the problem is quite earlier on when establishing a PPP connection (before user/pass sent):
Jan 1 00:00:33 pppd[377]: pppd 2.4.5 started by admin, uid 0
Jan 1 00:01:08 pppd[377]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jan 1 00:02:18 pppd[377]: Timeout waiting for PADS packets
Jan 1 00:02:53 pppd[377]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jan 1 00:03:01 rc_service: httpd 334:notify_rc start_autodet
Jan 1 00:03:04 rc_service: httpd 334:notify_rc start_autodet
Jan 1 00:03:11 rc_service: httpd 334:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
Jan 1 00:03:11 pppd[377]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery

I've manually managed to get the plus net Technicolor working .. but it didn't do the TR69 auto configuration ... so after a lot more swearing and clicking around the web interface, managed to find out to manually configure user/pass ...
7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Are you seeing issues reconnecting (with your own router)?

There is already a long thread here and see the more recent posts and ignore the bad advice about "reconfiguring". My post here sums it up really.
bovine

Interesting... I've seen them threads before posting but didn't put 2 and 2 together ...
Reading through them and ignoring all the noise, the main points seem to be:
1) If you suffer a disconnect and can not reconnect only power down your router for 30 minutes - BUT LEAVE !BT MODEM! POWER ON
2) seems to worse for non- plus-net supplied  routers suggestion the plus net firmwares have a work around (such as doing some pppd session sniffing and sending PADT) read here for more details: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114576.msg988518.html#msg988518
Anotherone
Champion

You got it about right there, but 1) always click Disconnect in the Router (if you have that facility depending on make etc) before the power down.
2) there's also this to try for the TG582n http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88186.msg1157281.html#msg1157281 don't know how effective it may be though, but worth a try.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

My router is definitely 'non-plusnet', I got disconnected, like many others, yesterday at 16:20 but was reconnected (with no manual intervention) by 16:39.
Maybe different routers reconnect better/worse than otners, maybe it's more 'luck of the draw' when trying to reconnect.
I think most of the posts I've seen from people struggling to reconnect for a long time have been using tg582n or ASUS devices, that could simply be because those are the most widely used.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
avatastic
Grafter

I'm the same as w23. My OpenWRT based router was disconnected by the bng failure yesterday and reconnected itself within 10 minutes.
I guess it comes down to the different kernels used in the routers and different versions of pppd and how they detect the drop and how aggressively they attempt to reconnect.
My previous FreeBSD based router was very aggressive with attempting to reconnect the PPPoE session and that was detrimental, to the point that I'd have to usually stop it from doing so for 30 minutes before it would reconnect.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bovine

I think there is more too it than already discussed. Using my plus.net supplied technicolor, I can disconnect and reconnect fine from the web interface (multiple times). If I disconnect using technicolor then swap it out for the ASUS, I still can not connect, get the same errors in the log as before Sad
Anotherone
Champion

This certainly sounds strange. So can we clarify -
You're connected quite happily with the TG582n - you login to it, click Disconnect and then power it down and disconnect it from your computer and the Modem.
You then connect up your Asus to the Modem and your computer and power it up. Have you rebooted the computer? You need to do that to make sure it gets the relevant IP address etc from the Asus. Then log into the Asus and click Connect (if it has this ability).
If you do that, things don't work?