cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any routers that actually work reliably with this service?

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Are there any routers that actually work reliably with this service?

@andyp24

Hum, not sure what you have got there.

If you search this board for GEA' there are a few properly formatted ones to see what they should look like.

What we are looking for, (when you get a proper one) is the SNR (signal to noise ratio's), any interference patterns detected, any cross talk detected and other information regarding speeds and banding.

If you can access your Plusnet Hub there is a page which has some of this information, which would be useful, I think its under troubleshooting)

andyp24
Dabbler

Well that's what they sent me when I requested the GEA. 

If a Plusnet support agent is reading this, can you please post a GEA test here if the earlier post isn't one? Thanks.

In the meantime, here's the router info page: (some fields removed for security)

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: *******************
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 29/01/19
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 1 days, 01:36:10
6. Data rate: 7154 / 29960
7. Maximum data rate: 7154 / 35509
8. Noise margin: 5.9 / 9.2
9. Line attenuation: 30.4 / 27.1
10. Signal attenuation: 30.4 / 24.7
11. Data sent/received: 1.2 GB / 45.3 GB
12. Broadband username: ***********************
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-SCKJ
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: PLUSNET-SCKJ
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: ****************
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0
dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@andyp24

One thing is the download snr, typically would be 6db to 3db, dependant on your dslam and other factors.

Yours is 9.2 which I suggest may be high.

Your speeds & data rates look ok, and suggests you are about 1km from the dslam (a GEA provides a better estimate of the distance)

You could

1. attempt to get a GEA so we can see if there is interference or crosstalk.

2. try the same exercise with the other modem to confirm these figures.

I expect PN to say your speeds are within tolerance, however a noisy line or excessive cross talk may be causing

unreliable connections.

This noise may or may not be apparent on a quiet phone line, bear in mind adsl/vdsl relies on radio signals using  copper (or in your case aluminium) wires, put in place prior to broadband.

Aluminium is supposed to have higher resistance, not sure what it's impact is on radio signals.

Resistance and attenuation are not the same thing.

Also bear in mind speeds can drop especially in the evening, this is usually due to congestion, however with overhead wires there are other factors, are yours over or under ground, or a mixture of both?

andyp24
Dabbler

Thanks - results from the BT Hub are in post #9 of this thread. I have re-requested (on this forum) a GEA test.

There seems to be no pattern of when the disconnections occur with the BT Hub 6, just as there wasn't with the TV freezing that happened with the Plusnet Hub.

It's annoying, as after putting up with the useless Plusnet Hub for a couple of years, the BT one was fantastic until 2 weeks ago.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@andyp24

re bt modem

6.2 dB / 8.6 dB from the connection figures, 8.2 suggests the download srn, still over 6db which is usually the target.

26.3 dB

Signal attenuation:

missing, perhaps the bt modem does not provide this.?

If you do get a report, and it does show interference you will need to see if there has been any changes to electrical equipment.

andyp24
Dabbler

Thank you. Nothing new in my house that would cause electrical interference..... 

That was everything from the BT router, so I guess it just doesn't list that second attenuation figure.

andyp24
Dabbler

Here's the GEA test thread....

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Request-GEA-test-please/td-p/1614005

Any advice welcome 🙂

Andy

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@andyp24 all the EO lines in the village were moved into a new cabinet built specifically for us, and near the exchange, and this allowed us to be given a FTTC service.

Yes, that is what I call typical OR thinking. In the village where I live, we nearly ended up with a FTTC box in the next village (2 miles away). Fortunately I got talking to some OR man with a bit of clout. Our fibre box is in the village Cheesy Like @VileReynard I tend to gravitate to the +70Mb connection.

Interesting read this thread. Just a thought, as you have tried lots of things to no avail. Every so often, I would find my modem / router not connected. I did start to think maybe PN had tried an update (bit difficult as it isn't a PN hub etc), DLM had tried a retrain etc and it had fallen over at that point. I also started to think maybe the phone line had intermittent problems. Switching them off and back on, they were up and running again. 

As I live out in the sticks, I also tend to get the odd power cut that usually gets DLM kicking in. To get around this problem, I fitted a fairly small UPS to supply both router and modem. Result, they haven't disconnected once since it's been fitted. Bad electric? Spikes etc. Maybe. It doesn't always have to be the modem/ router.......

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
davidcrocker
Dabbler

FWIW I changed from the Plusnet Hub One to Asus DSL-AC68U about a year ago and I have been very happy with it. The Hub One worked OK too, but I wanted better WiFi range.

dws1900
Aspiring Pro

@davidcrocker

@andy24

A possibility as he is now seeing internal interference on the GEA.

However radiated interference could be picked up in other cables.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@andyp24 wrote:

Thanks - results from the BT Hub are in post #9 of this thread. I have re-requested (on this forum) a GEA test.

It's annoying, as after putting up with the useless Plusnet Hub for a couple of years, the BT one was fantastic until 2 weeks ago.

I wonder if it's relevant that the Smarthub firmware updated on the 5th Feb?

Have you tried a factory reset on the Smarthub and set it up again from scratch?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

andyp24
Dabbler

Firmware update... possibly relevant. The dates would be right approximately (can't remember exactly when it started playing up). But I did do a full Factory Reset and re-configured the SmartHub and it still disconnects.