Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any planned updates from Openreach

malkpm
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Are there any planned updates from Openreach

My fibre internet is 5mb.

No complaints as I knew this is within the estimated speed range. To me its twice as fast as I was getting on ADSL.

Does anyone know how to find out if Openreach have plans to upgrade my area?  I do not live out in the sticks!  I get fed up of seeing articles about BB speed and realise how slow it is where I live.

My cabinet is No 5 in Portishead and I am just under a mile from it. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Otherwise the Plusnet service is excellent. 

Thanks   M

10 REPLIES 10
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Are there any planned updates from Openreach

Any plans would be mentioned here https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @malkpm

I've got good news.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 7.1 3.9 1.2 0.8 -- Available -- Yes -- --

Fibre is showing as available. It's not as superfast as I would like, but it's appearing to offer greater speeds than what you're currently on.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Anoush ??   your reply astounded me, as the OP starts his post My fibre internet is 5mb. Wink

Your reply of Greater speeds 7.1 Undecided

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Massive apologies @malkpm

To answer your question, we wouldn't be able to find out if our suppliers have any plans to provide a faster fibre service I'm afraid.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
malkpm
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply Anoush.

I just thought that as I am a customer of Plusnet and not Openreach it would be yourselves to answer. Sorry if I have got this wrong. However I would like the 7.1mb you mentioned but to be fair this is the top end of the estimated speed.

I wonder what the reaction to an Ofcom paper published this month titled Connected Nations 

3.10 The UK Government has a target that at least 95% of UK premises should have access to superfast services by the end of 2017, using its own benchmark of 24Mbit/s or more. Ofcom estimates that, by June 2016, 90% of UK premises (numbering 26 million) were covered by broadband services at this speed.

So I will try Openreach to get an answer.

Just to clarify that this is in no way an adverse comment about Plusnet. Their hands are tied to the line provider Openreach. 

All I want to know is this the speed I will have to put up with for the near future.  If I can establish this as true then I can proceed to ask questions elsewhere.

M

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for getting back to me,

I appreciate the frustration of having a slow speed. As your current speed is within estimates, a fault report we raise to our suppliers would get rejected.

I really wish I could provide you with a date when we should expect you to receive faster speeds but it's something we aren't able to find out I'm afraid.

jordanc1230
Rising Star

I doubt you will get any useful info from Openreach they are more likely to refer you back to Plusnet. This is one of the problems with Openreach which in all fairness to them they did try to resolve by asking ISP's if customers should be allow to deal with Openreach directly regarding complaints, faults and delays at the end of 2015. However SKY, TalkTalk & some of the other providers said no to this and the idea was shelved, it's a shame Openreach didn't ask the actually customers of their products "us lot". It looks like the new 18/2 fibre product is aviliable at to your exchange though so at some point you me be able to downgrade to that which is cheaper than the current 38/2 fibre product should plusnet start offering it.

malkpm
Rising Star

Thanks for the info Grafter.
Not heard of 18/2 etc.
Its very frustrating when you cant find an answer to a simple question.
Am I a customer of Openreach?
Happy new year.
jordanc1230
Rising Star

Indirectly yes as you use their services plusnet is the middle man selling them to you. The 18mb fibre product is a new cheaper package openreach have brought out at a more affordable price for those who cant justify the price of paying to upgrade to fibre and who currently have poor adsl speeds. It costs around the same amount per month as normal adsl broadband does.

malkpm
Rising Star

Will keep an eye out for changes.

I cant complain as the speed I am getting is as estimated. In fact I am now hitting 6mb. Compared to my ADSL of around 3mb max its very good.

Can now watch Netflix. Have just cancelled my Sky tv. Pity I cant get Plusnet tv. I have asked PN about their tv but I need a speed of 15mb (how I wish). Suggested I could be a beta tester for slower speeds.

Again thanks for the info.