cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the noise margin figures what they should be?

FIXED
Topsy
Dabbler

Are the noise margin figures what they should be?

Are the noise margin figures what they should be? The cabinet I'm connected to is 20 meters down the road.

This is the info from the helpdesk agents page of the Plusnet Hub.

Data Rate. 9999/39950

Maximum Data Rate. 23235/81628

Noise Margin. 21.9/18.1

Line Attenuation. 14.4/13.2

Signal Attenuation. 14.0/13.2

When you signed up for Plusnet Broadband, we gave you an estimated line speed range.
Now that your Unlimited Fibre broadband has been up and running for 14 days,
we wanted to let you know your line speed as it stands today, as a comparison.

Estimated peak time speeds:
Download: 38 - 40Mb
Upload: 8 - 10Mb
These are the speeds your line is capable of at peak times.
Current line speed: 37Mb
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 30.9Mb
This is the minimum speed you should expect to achieve on your line.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Are the noise margin figures what they should be?

They look brilliant to me. You are obviously very close to the cabinet with a good signal, Why do you think that they're wrong.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Fix

Hello @Topsy,

Thanks for getting in touch, looking at the figures provided they look fine for your line. I have run a test on your line and the speed look  fine as you can see below.

Test OutcomePassTest Outcome CodeGTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000DescriptionGEA service test completed and no fault found .Main Fault LocationOKSync StatusIn SyncDownstream Speed40.0 MbpsUpstream Speed10.0 MbpsAppointment RequiredNFault Target Fix Time Fault Report AdvisedNEstimated Line Length In Metres358.2Upstream Rate AssessmentVery GoodDownstream Rate AssessmentVery GoodInterference PatternNot DetectedService ImpactNo Impact ObservedHome Wiring ProblemNot DetectedTechnologyVDSLNTE Power StatusPowerOnVoice Line Test ResultPassBridge TapNot DetectedRadio Frequency IngressNot DetectedRepetitive Electrical Impulse NoiseNot DetectedCross TalkNot DetectedProfile Name0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Please get back to us if you experience any problems with your speed or connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Topsy
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 wrote:

They look brilliant to me. You are obviously very close to the cabinet with a good signal, Why do you think that they're wrong.

I thought the noise margin figures were supposed to be in the 3dB-6dB range. Obviously I've misunderstood that Cheesy

The actual at the computer speeds I get (BT Broadband Performance Test) are ~35.5Mbps download and ~8.2Mbpss Upload.

dfects
Grafter

Guessing you're on a lower package? IIRC the noise margins are often increased to lower your speed when you can achieve higher or something along those lines.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I thought the noise margin figures were supposed to be in the 3dB-6dB range. Obviously I've misunderstood that 

No you haven't, the target noise margin is normally set at 3 or 6db. As the synch speed increases , the actual noise margin of any given line is reduced. So for a line where there is no speed restriction , then the line will synch at a speed that gives the 3 or 6db margin. You are on the Fibre Unlimited product which has a maximum speed of 40Mb. Your line is quite short and is capable of a much higher speed than 40Mb at a 6db margin. So when it's limited to 40Mb , the actual noise margin is much higher. The advantage of a higher noise margin is that it will give far less errors and a much more stable line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Topsy
Dabbler

Thanks for the replys and explanations everyone.