Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are my upload speeds right?

sherritphs
Dabbler

Are my upload speeds right?

Hi all.
Hoping someone can shed light on my connection.  According to my account details I'm on the unlimited fibre at 40/20 & where my wired connections are indeed reaching at least 35/36mb , I've found my upload speed struggling to get any higher than 2mb. Now I've read other posts regarding the 40/2 fibre so I double checked the account details and it confirms that I should be on 40/20. It is my initial couple of days on fibre so will I expect my upload speeds to increase or should I have seen the higher upload speeds immediately and getting lower during the test phase thingy? I've had to turn off the plusnet wifi  as it was terribly slow compared to the speed I can get through bt home hotspots over Plug in ethernet.
12 REPLIES 12
djtoastie
Grafter

Re: Are my upload speeds right?

If you've only just signed up, then unfortunately you'll be on 40/2.  It was 40/20 up until May/June sometime. But plus-net decided they werent making enough money so have limited it. If i were you, I'd either pay for unlimited fibre extra which is 80/20 (if you line supports over 40Mbps) or cancel contract immediately.
sherritphs
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply. However the account settings in the member area say differently however, they seem to suggest that I should get around 18mb upload and 38 download?? I may raise this with pn or if someone from pn could confirm here that'd be good. If I am indeed on a 40/2 connection then they should state this clearly before anyone signs up.
djtoastie
Grafter

Mine used to say something like 32/6 but my true speed is approx 23/1.6 which is dreadful. Probably no staff here till tomorrow.  The upload speed isn't stated clearly, i didn't notice until it was too late to cancel. If the upload speed was stated clearly, then i assume they would have less customers.
dick:quote
sjptd
Grafter

If you run the BT wholesale test speedtest.btwholesale.com and Further Diagnostics you can see which package Plusnet have put you on with BT Wholesale.
The 'available upload' will be either 20 or 2.
Unlike the download profile (available download), this value relates only to the package, and NOT to the speed at which the line is synced.
If the upload speed was stated clearly, then i assume they would have less customers.  Probably true.  However, other companies hide their upload speeds even more.  On Plusnet website, as soon as you click 'show details and upgrade call plan' you are shown the (very poor) upload speed.  That is not the case on BT Infinity site, TalkTalk or Sky.
sherritphs
Dabbler

Thanks in at work right now but I'll try once i get in.  And update here.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you let me know where you're seeing the upload as 18Mb/s as you are on the 2Mbps upload service, so I'm concerned you're seeing something different.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
sherritphs
Dabbler

Hi Chris
i got that info from the account details on my current product at the members section. I took a screenshot of which i'll upload if you want.
sherritphs
Dabbler

Estragon
Rising Star

When did  you get connected on Plusnet fibre, and importantly exactly what date did you order it?
sherritphs
Dabbler

Got connected to pn fibre on 22nd July ordered on the 7th July.  There was confusion regarding my installation as pn mistakenly thought that I had already had fibre at my property however I reassured  them that I witnessed the cabinet upgrade recently so could not have had fibre previously.
Estragon
Rising Star

That explains the speeds. It is the information showing in your Member Centre that is incorrect.
The 40/20 product was dropped for new sales on 17 June and replaced by the 40/2 one. I asked about your order date in case it was 16 June or earlier and there had just been a long delay connecting you, as that could account for incorrect provision on 40/2.
I can't help beyond that I'm afraid.
sherritphs
Dabbler

It seems that according to the bt wholesale information that I am indeed on a 40/2 connection despite every other information saying otherwise.  I'm not that concerned about upload speed per se. However some clarity would have been nice.  Perhaps someone pn could explain my member centre screenshot for me? Thanks for all your replies,  people.