cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plusnet currently expanding fibre coverage at all?

lowfam
Dabbler

Are Plusnet currently expanding fibre coverage at all?

Its not available at all in my postcode, even though I live about a mile from a  city centre.  A friend of mine lives 8 miles outside the city, and gets fast plusnet fibre no problem!

20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Are Plusnet currently expanding fibre coverage at all?

@lowfam Fibre coverage is not something Plusnet (or any ISP) expand - it is entirely down to BT as the network provider.

John
lowfam
Dabbler

Hello, and thanks for your reply.

There are other ISPs that can supply fibre to my post code, TalkTalk for example, so why is it that PlusNet lose out? And BT presumably are the network provider for the whole network, but Plus Net fibre is available elsewhere, I dont understand.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Is it fibre to the cabinet, or fibre to the premises? PN do not do the latter.

Use the DSL checker to see what is available to you.

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

jab1
Legend

Following on from @Mustrum 's post - it would be a good idea to post a screenshot of the result, but please obscure/delete your phone number.

John
lowfam
Dabbler

Hello, as I said, I know there are other ISPs that can supply fibre to my postcode, lots of them, but I have been a Plusnet customer for a number of years, and have always been happy with their service, so I wanted to stay with them. I was just surprised that they did not supply fibre broadband to my area as it is fairly urban, but do in my friends, out in the sticks.

I am still not sure I understand what BT has got to do with it though, dont they supply the same network for all the ISPs? why for example can I get TalkTalk at my home, (FTC), but not Plusnet?

jab1
Legend

OK - that does sound strange? Can you post the result of this check: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL , obscure/hide your phone number?

And, out of curiosity, where does it say PN don't supply you with FTTC?

EDIT: Yes BT do supply the network infrastructure for all ISPs whose use the BT network.

John
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Plusnet is a subsidiary of BT and BT are a customer of Openreach who provide the infrastructure. You can get a full review of what is available to you from all providers at the Sam Knows website.

jab1
Legend

@TeeGee Thanks for that, but I have a feeling it is not very up to date - just checked for me and it lists providers who have gone out of business or been merged, and doesn't list at least two who I know, having spoken them recently, certainly do.

John
lowfam
Dabbler

Jon, to answer your question, I got the info that PN do not supply fibre here from the PN website itself. It list only 'unlimited' ADSL as available upgrades on my phone number.

jab1
Legend

OK, @lowfam - but a detailed check from the link both @Mustrum & I have given you may be more informative.

John
lowfam
Dabbler

BT.gif

jab1
Legend

According to that, you are on an exchange where FTTP is available, and under those circumstances, BT as the network provider will not offer FTTC to 'new' subscribers, only FTTP.

People who applied for and got FTTC before the upgrade will be able to keep it though.

That explains why PN can't offer you an upgrade, as higher management have decided that the Plusnet brand is to be retained, but only as a budget - i.e. cheap - option, which FTTP isn't.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

As per post 4, you can get Fibre to the Premises, but not from PN.

As soon as your contract is up, if it were me and if I wanted more bandwidth then I would be looking elsewhere.

lowfam
Dabbler

Thank you both for your help and know-how. I must say thats very disappointing though. My understanding is that FTTP is a lot more expensive than FTTC, and as I said, I have been very happy with PN over the years, and wanted to stay with them.