cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are IKEv2 VPN connections blocked?

cdhinton

Are IKEv2 VPN connections blocked?

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a VPN connection on my computer, and I want to use the IKEv2 protocol. I've previously had the VPN working fine using PPTP (which is considered insecure) and OpenVPN (which is good, but slower than IKEv2).

I just can't get it to connect, though. I spoke with the VPN company who say, because PPTP and OpenVPN work, it's likely the ISP (Plusnet) is blocking IKEv2 connections.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Or has anyone got an IKEv2 VPN to work and could offer me some hints?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Are IKEv2 VPN connections blocked?

Hi, AFAIK PlusNet don't explicitly block anything, but each user has a Firewall whose settings can be adjusted here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall ( you'll need to login with you username/password ). That needs to be set to OFF or LOW for VPN to work but I would expect this to already be set as that since PPTP and OpenVPN you say work.

IKEv2 ( as opposed to IKEv1 ) is a different methord of Key exchange when establishing an IPSec VPN. Both methods use the same ports. I use both PPTP and IPSec ( albeit IKEv1! ) with my PN connection and so I wouldn't expect any general problem.

What make/model of router do you use ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cdhinton

Thanks for the reply! My Plusnet firewall is already off. I've disabled the firewall in my router too (asus rt-ac66u) but same result 😕 

I'll have a poke around in the router settings though in case there's something I'm missing.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I guessed the firewall would already be off but thought it was best to ask anyway!.

I've no personal experience of the asus router, the main reason for the router question was the one of the PN supplied routers ( TG582n) did have some problems with IPSec.

From what I can see on the web, the asus does have some passthrough settings http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_NATPassThrough_Content.html might be worth checking that IpSec passthrough is enabled.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cdhinton

Thanks again for the pointers. IPSec passthrough is enabled (in fact they all are except PPoE relay, which I tried enabling just in case... no luck).

I also tried disabling the firewall on my computer itself, but no change there either. It's a mystery!

You've given me some good ideas of what I should be looking for though, so hopefully I'll figure it out before long Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Which VPN client are you using ? and does it have any facilities to give a diagnostic log ?