cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archer D2 AC 750

petermcwhinnie

Archer D2 AC 750

Got Plusnet fibre in last weekend and bought the Plusnet router that's supplied with fibre.  In just over a week we have dropped the wireless signal about 10 times which is a pain.  Last May I bought the TP-Link D2 and it out performed the Technicolot router that I was using before along with 2 range extenders.  Once the dust had settled I tried to connect the Archer D2 the same way as the Plusnet router but got no internet connection.  Now I think my question to the forum is simple, can I use the D2 or do I need to buy a new modem with the Blue coloured port.  It does say in the TP-Link site that it can take fibre through the Wan port 4 which looks the same as Plusnet's connection.  Used the info on Support which gives the connection details but get no connection to the internet.  I should mention that the fibre cabinet is about 300 metres away so its copper from there to my house through to the Openreach modem and then to the router.
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Archer D2 AC 750

Hi and welcome to the forums,
Now I think my question to the forum is simple, can I use the D2 or do I need to buy a new modem with the Blue coloured port.
You can use the D2. You need to change it from 'DSL modem router mode' to 'Wireless router mode' , see page 17 of the manual. Once it's rebooted, you've connected the modem to LAN port 4, configured the WAN connection as pppoe and entered your plusnet connection details again you should be good to go.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I have no experience at all of this device BUT it's not uncommon for various routers with both DSL and EWAN connections to require a factory reset when changing from one connection type to the other, if following MisterW's advice doesn't work I'd suggest that as a next step.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
b1ggles
Grafter

Don't know if the D2 is any different but my D7 just needed to be changed as per MisterW's post when I moved to fibre.
petermcwhinnie

Thanks all for your suggestions will try to do as Mr. W suggested first.  Will report back on what happens.  Sorry to take so long to view your replies but life got a bit hectic.