cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple iMac and Macbook show wifi and ethernet by no internet

DerekP

Re: Apple iMac and Macbook show wifi and ethernet by no internet

Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and I'm not an OSX user, but I woonder if these problems be a manifestation of the issues mentioned here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/glitchy-5ghz-wifi-hits-users-of-uk-isp-plusnets-hub-on...

If so, it seems there is a potential issue with some Hub One routers and, at least for some, a workaround is possible by only using the 2.4GHz wifi band.

Coincidently, I upgraded to a Hub One router a few weeks ago and mine has been working very well, over both ethernet and wifi.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

the user is having issues with ethernet though..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DerekP

In that case I'd suggest foccusing on getting ethernet working before worring about wifi.

In general, where devices can see and ping a router but not the internet, I've often found that to be a problem with automatically generated local IP addresses and, quite often, a failure to see the local gateway to the internet.

On Windows PC's, I find the terminal command "ipconfig /all" does a nice job of showing whether or not internet connections are set up correctly.

On my iPhone, I can carry out similar checks via Settings... Wi-Fi... (i)nformation and then scrolling down to see the Router and DNS IP addresses.

Here on Linux, a right click on the network status icon brings up equivalent connection information. Various arcane terminal commands are also available, some or all of them might also work on a Mac.

I'd also noted that the device IP adressses reported by the OP here seem to be unusual. On my Plusnet Hub One, the default gateway is 192.168.1.254 and the device IP addresses start at around 192.168.1.60 or thereabouts.

If it can be established that these issues are not exclusively a wifi problem, then it might be worth attempting to manually setup the internet connections on the misbehaving devices. Given that some of the OP's devices are working, it should not be too difficult to work out the required settings and then try inputing them manually.

CaptainE
Dabbler

Thank you for the info. The annoying thing is that yesterday I connected a Mac by Ethernet cable straight in the back of the router and bingo! I had internet hard wired and WiFi. My jubilation was short lived, I had 5 minutes of connection then nothing. I went back to my reliable Ethernet connected (newer) Mac and found out that from that moment that connection had failed as well. I am currently using my 4g phone and an old iPad (which connects WiFi ok). I cannot get any work done until this is sorted out. My LG WiFi Smart TV has also lost connection. I am wondering whether to try a 3rd party router to see if it is the Hub One that is causing problems.
DerekP

Hi CaptainE, I'd certainly try that to see if the pronlem lies with your router or elsewhere.

On previous occasions, I have managed to set up alternative routers. Both my Plusnet welcome letter and their online help provide good instructions for doing this.
CaptainE
Dabbler

I have just used a HP laptop to sign into Plusnet Wireless. No problem. I have turned off Plusnet Router and temporarily replaced it with. TalkTalk Router. It is behaving the same as the Plusnet one (I.e Smart TV connection via Ethernet OK) and I know this router is ok as I used it at a previous address. It seems as if something is blocking the connection between the Mac computers and the Internet signal. All Macs communicated via Ethernet and WiFi with both Plusnet and TalkTalk routers.
dvorak

on the macs not working is it only ethernet or wifi and ethernet?
Customer / Moderator
CaptainE
Dabbler

WiFi and Ethernet i.e no internet at all.
dvorak

Sorry when testing ethernet are you turning wireless off?
Customer / Moderator
DerekP

Hmm... if other devices are working with either router, this is beginning to look like a mac problem not a router or broadband one.

Looks like others have faced such problems before, for example see:

https://appletoolbox.com/solved-macbook-connects-to-wi-fi-but-has-no-internet-connection/

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/177873/full-wi-fi-ethernet-signal-but-no-internet

Between those two threads there seem to be quite a lot of potential causes for this kind of problem.

CaptainE
Dabbler

I have spoken to Apple and we have run diagnostic checks, and been through all this. It is rather strange that all my Mac devices have been working fine both Ethernet and WiFi prior to the visit of a BT engineer a week ago who was on site to cure the regular drop outs in the internet signal. For this reason I am not convinced it is a Mac problem solely.
dvorak

yet everything else works and they're not working with 2 diferent routers.

Customer / Moderator
dvorak

Can you post a screen shot the same as mine please?
Customer / Moderator
CaptainE
Dabbler

I have found out how to take photo from my phone onto the forum but my iPhone images are too large in bytes to upload!
dvorak

If you press cmd+shfit+4 it will allow you to take a snapshot of an area of the screen of your choosing and will place the image on the desktop.
Customer / Moderator