cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling Product

keithandrewowen
Grafter

Re: Appalling Product

OK so the Openreach engineer has just been. He spent about 40 minutes here testing various things.

He said that the line was set to be "vectored" (?) which the Plusnet One routers don't cope with very well, so he has reset that.

He also said the SNR was set to 3db, and he has reset that to 6db. He said that at this distance from the cabinet (circa 550m) there's no way 3db would be stable.

The BTW performance tester shows 54/6 (wired)

So far it seems OK but he's only been gone about 20 minutes, so let's see. It is usually more unstable in the evenings anyway.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@keithandrewowen  If I were you I would take everything that the Openreach "Engineer" said with a very large pinch of salt, it just doesn't sound convincing.

For a start virtually all the VDSL2 (FTTC)  operating parameters are controlled by the automated DLM (Dynamic Line Management) System and as far as I know ISPs or even Openreach engineers are not able to set a fixed 6dB SNRM or switch vectoring on and off. For vectoring to work properly all the lines on the cabinet have to have it enabled. There are other Plusnet customers on vectored lines who could well be using Hub1 routers with no known problems, Did the OR guy say there was a problem with Plusnet router?  Vectoring is the best possible thing to have on your line as it reduces crosstalk from other lines and can give much higher speeds.

So the question is, as I don't believe that the stated changes have been made what did he actually do, my guess is probably nothing or at best a DLM reset which will probably have reduced your sync speed as the SNRM may well have gone back to 6dB but if the line remains stable that will be lowered over the next few days.

keithandrewowen
Grafter

Quite possibly you're right - I don't know enough to say either way.

But between Openreach blaming Plusnet, and Plusnet blaming Openreach, I still don't have a stable internet connection.

I don't really care what the root cause is, I just want to receive the service I'm paying for.
keithandrewowen
Grafter

Well, we just lost connection again :-( Does anyone else have any ideas before I contact Plusnet to cancel and ask for a refund?
keithandrewowen
Grafter

Well, after some more intermittent drops, the wifi and the connection has settled down and been stable for the past 4 weeks, which is very re-assuring.

However this morning I received an email from Plusnet informing me that they are going to charge me £65 for the visit of the engineer, because apparently "The engineer that attended has provided us with notes from this visit, they have informed us that the issues you experienced with your services were caused by misoperation/incorrect set up of equipment. The engineer has either resolved this issue for you or provided you with advice on how to do so, due to this an engineer call-out charge is applicable"

And they ticket they opened on my behalf can't be added too (despite the claim in the email) so I am unable to respond. If they would read their own service ticket on the original problem, and this thread, there's absolutely no way they could claim it was "user error". 

So not only do I get a have all the pain and stress of trying to get the connection to work in the first place, I now have to pay Plusnet for the joy of doing so. I guess I should be lucky that they only charged me for one engineer visit, despite them having to send an engineer twice to fix their [-Censored-] product.

As soon as I am able, I will leave this company and find one with decent customer service.

keithandrewowen
Grafter

Just to update, I've been contacted by Customer Services who have agreed that the callout charge was incorrectly applied, and will be re-credited. Good news, but it shouldn't have been necessary in the first place

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @keithandrewowen 

I'm glad your connection's fixed and I'm sorry to see we've passed on a call-out charge to you.

I understand following raising this with our complaints team, we've waived this.

Let us know if there are further issues or anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet