Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling Product

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Appalling Product

@RobPN wrote:

Yep, I saw that post @jab1 , but if there's something wrong it seems strange that the sync speed is higher than would be expected.  Undecided

Agreed, @RobPN - there's something afoot here - but I dunno what. 😁

John
keithandrewowen
Grafter

Wireless speed is still terrible (the BTW site says 3.10/5.83), and I am concerned that the router is still dropping wi-fi. 

I take your point about a BT HH6, but with the greatest of respect, I now have the router plugged into the test socket and a long cable running across the house, and now you're suggesting I buy a second-hand router off Ebay to maybe fix my problem. It's not what I expect from an ISP.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@keithandrewowen your physical Internet connection is dropping. Wi-Fi issue or no, you're going to be having a bad time of things.

@Gandalf any chance of ensuring Keith is provisioned on a sensible DLM policy? The line shouldn't be operating at sub-6dB target margins if it's dropping all the time.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Legend

@keithandrewowen wrote:

Wireless speed is still terrible (the BTW site says 3.10/5.83), and I am concerned that the router is still dropping wi-fi. 

I take your point about a BT HH6, but with the greatest of respect, I now have the router plugged into the test socket and a long cable running across the house, and now you're suggesting I buy a second-hand router off Ebay to maybe fix my problem. It's not what I expect from an ISP.

OK Keith, I understand what you are saying here, but the wireless performance of the Hub1 is not the best and many people have found the investment is worthwhile, but the choice is yours.

Given @bobpullen 's comments above, I would wait and see if getting you onto a sensible policy improves things, although if you physical connection is still dropping that needs sorting first, or at least alongside the DLM policy change.

John
keithandrewowen
Grafter

OK I'll wait and see what happens. If it's the only way to get reliable wi-fi then OK, but it shouldn't be necessary

Anyway, many thanks to you and everyone else for all your help this evening - it is much appreciated!

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Just noticed your tag, @jab1 .

It's certainly a weird one. My only observation at this point is that some of the stats don't look right.

(1) GEA

6. Data rate: 6286 / 60411
7. Maximum data rate: 6286 / 63125
8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 3.8
9. Line attenuation: 36.1 / 23.3
10. Signal attenuation: 24.8 / 21.4
11. Data sent/received: 1.9 GB / 22.4 GB

Parameters 6, 7 and 11 all indicate that US is on the left and DS on the right. But 9 and 10 seem the wrong way round, as attenuation is normally higher on DS. So maybe parameter 8 is reversed too?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend

@198kHz Good point, but, although my memory is hazy, and I can't be bothered to go and find it, I seem to remember that lady in London who had speed problems late last year was also reporting strange figures in these areas. Sadly, I don't think we ever got to the end of that saga.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@bobpullen wrote:

@Gandalf any chance of ensuring Keith is provisioned on a sensible DLM policy? The line shouldn't be operating at sub-6dB target margins if it's dropping all the time.

@bobpullen The fibre's provisioned on BT's Standard (or Openreach's Speed) stability profile. I'd actually be more inclined to arrange an SFI engineer visit as there could be an underlying problem on the infrastructure, so this could potentially be fixed while retaining the enormously high speed (Enormous based on the estimate).

Also from experience it can generally take 7 to 14 days for DLM to take to an increase in the stability profile which may or may not fix the issue so a broadband engineer's likely the quickest route for potentially the best outcome. 

@keithandrewowen Thanks for updating the ticket. I've booked the engineer visit for the soonest slot we have based on the availability and I've added a reply there with the appointment details. Let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @Gandalf 

I had an issue like this when I moved to a short term rental, the line was only capable of supporting Unlimited Fibre 40/10 but during the transfer I was left on my original provision of Unlimited Fibre extra 80/20. The downstream noise margin like here was 3db and DSL connection dropped regular. Like me, here the upload speed was sub 10.

Could it be the connection has been previsioned incorrectly?

Dan

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Dan_the_Van They're provisioned on 80/20, you can tell because the downstream sync speed is above 55mbps. The next step up after 55/10 is 80/20. It's certainly an odd issue and good shout though. Let's see what the engineer finds. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Gandalf wrote:

@bobpullen The fibre's provisioned on BT's Standard (or Openreach's Speed) stability profile. I'd actually be more inclined to arrange an SFI engineer visit as there could be an underlying problem on the infrastructure, so this could potentially be fixed while retaining the enormously high speed (Enormous based on the estimate).

Might be an idea to do both?

Also from experience it can generally take 7 to 14 days for DLM to take to an increase in the stability profile which may or may not fix the issue so a broadband engineer's likely the quickest route for potentially the best outcome. 

Regardless, DLM is more likely to act positively if moved away from the speed profile, e.g. on speed, the line has to retrain a daft amount of times each day before DLM will even begin to do anything. On a more sensible profile, it will act at a lower threshold.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bobpullen Ah yeah that makes sense. *Hands wizard hat across to Bob*

I've placed a modify order now to change the stability profile one step up to BT's Stable (confusingly, Openreach's Standard). The changes should start to take effect from the 4th May, due to the long weekend ahead.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
keithandrewowen
Grafter

Thanks! Is there anything I need to do? Or look out for?

Btw my connection is back as it was before, with the BT Master Socket faceplate re-attached and the router and phone connected to the relevant sockets.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @keithandrewowen and not particularly I'd say, the changes should be automatic.

Fingers crossed the new profile and/or the engineer's able to make a difference. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
keithandrewowen
Grafter

I sincerely hope it does make a difference,  because this evening we have literally lost the Internet connection every 15 minutes. It is completely unusable.