Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling Product

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Appalling Product

That report seems to suggest to me that there is some problem on the BTOR network, but I'm no telecomms engineer - just someone who has been on the 'net since 56k modem dial-up days. 😉

I don't know if either of them are about, but I'll tag @MisterW and @198kHz -and see if they have any thoughts - they both know more than me!

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I would say there's still a line fault. As @jab1  says the downstream snr is too low. Also I would have expected  a higher upstream syncbfor a line synching at 60Mb down.

@keithandrewowen what are your estimates from the BT wholesale checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/AD

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

keithandrewowen
Grafter

Do you mean the observed speeds?

Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 60.85
Max Observed Upstream Speed 6.46
Observed Date 2021-04-28

What's confusing me is the wi-fi drops. The broadband connection does also drop a couple of times a day, although currently (at least according to the router itself) the DSL connection has been up for just over 6 hours. But the wi-fi drops maybe every 15-30 minutes. Why would this be?

jab1
Legend

No, Keith - @MisterW meant the whole of the report.

The Wi-Fi drops could be associated with the firmware version you have, which is why I tagged Bob Pullen earlier.

John
keithandrewowen
Grafter

Sorry, I cannot post a screen capture because it times out every time I try to upload

jab1
Legend

That's a pity. You really have a wonky connection somewhere - even on my ADSL connection, much bigger screengrabs load with no problem.

John
keithandrewowen
Grafter

Capture.JPG

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from an attachment a public forum.
jab1
Legend

Thanks for that. Now I am really confused though - available says your range is 32-46, yet you are getting 61 (rounded).

Are you on Fibre or Fibre Extra?

John
keithandrewowen
Grafter

Sorry, I'm on Unlimited Fibre Extra

jab1
Legend

No need to apologise, just that report confused me.

Maybe @MisterW can unfaze my brain.😀

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Now I am really confused though

You and me both, John. It's got to be a Fibre extra provision other wise it would be limited to 40Mb.

There's something not quite right here, there's no way it should be synching at 60Mb with those estimates!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@keithandrewowen were you previously on Fibre with another ISP and have migrated to PlusNet ?

keithandrewowen
Grafter

No, I had no previous provider. I've just returned to the UK after living for 21 years in Germany. I'm currently renting a place (pending a house purchase) and I chose Plusnet to provide internet and phone at the rental place. I have no idea what the previous tenants had in terms of phone or internet.

Regarding speed (quite apart from the instability issues) the speed of connection is very slow. Currently speedtest.net pegs it at 8.99/1.71

We are heavy internet users - in Germany we used no land-based phone/tv services, only Skype, streaming services, Netflix, Amazon Prime, DAZN, lots of Google Home devices

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for that. It's almost as though the DLM parameters havent been reset with the new provision. Different routers can produce different speeds on the same line, depending on the chipset in both the router and the DSLAM. It's almost as though a previous router was more suited to the DSLAM and the parameters sunch as Target SNR had adjusted to that and not been reset to defaults when your provision happened.

Currently speedtest.net pegs it at 8.99/1.71

Is that a wired or wireless test ?

The only test acceptable for raising a speed fault is a wired test using the BT wholesale checker.

There definitely something wrong with the line though and I think you have to persevere with raising a fault.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@keithandrewowen your router firmware has been upgraded to rule out any known Wi-Fi issues. you'll need to power the router off/back-on to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵