Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling Download Speed

morsoft
Grafter

Appalling Download Speed

Hi.

This morning the download speed on my Unlimited Fibre service is around 8mbps instead of the usual 25mbps. I have tried different routers (Plusnet Hub One and BT HH6) and briefly it reached 24mbps but has gone down again to 7mbps. Could you please investigate this problem. Needless to say I cannot watch BT Sport HD on Youview.

Mal

15 REPLIES 15
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Appalling Download Speed

Hi @morsoft, sorry to hear you're experiencing slow speeds.

Testing the connection isn't flagging up any problems. Can you confirm if you're experiencing the same problems on both wired and wireless connections?

Can you run through our troubleshooting guides here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/
It may also be worth connecting to the test socket to try and rule out issues caused by internal wiring. More information on this can be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
If you continue to experience problems after this, please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it: https://faults.plus.net
Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
morsoft
Grafter

Hi. Thanks for the reply. It was with both wired and wireless - all testing done with wired. A neighbour was also having the same problems. Thankfully in the last hour or so I it seems to be close to normal again.

Mal

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Thanks for confirming that, hopefully it was just a blip. I'm glad to hear everything is working as expected now. If you do start to experience problems again moving forward I'd recommend going through the steps in my previous response and if you let us know once you've reported the issue via the account we can get that picked up and progressed for you.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
morsoft
Grafter

Unfortunately this wasn't just a blip. I raised a fault on Wednesday with a very helpful Plusnet agent and  received a call from another agent today to say that everything was normal. When I told him that it was far from normal and that at times today I was getting only 6mbps he asked me to test the line while he was on the phone. It resulted in a download speed of 24mbps which I think he felt justified his statement that all was normal. I insisted that the download speed was very erratic and suggested he look at the BTWholesale tests (further diagnostics) I had performed over the last couple of days. He arranged for an engineer to visit on Tuesday. I was very unsatisfied with his level of understanding and helpfulness. Within 30 minutes of the call I tested again and got a download speed of 1.76mbps. I tried to perform the further diagnostics test but that failed. During all this time the upload speed has remained fairly constant at 4.5mbps and the IP Profile has remained at 25.37mbps.

Booboo12
Dabbler

Much the same story here. I have been having problems sine 26th march. numerous openreach visits firstly to sort problem with disconnects. now line is fairly stable but getting download speeds well below guaranteed minimum of 17.1 often around 12 but plusnet maintain they are seeing speeds of 21 although I keep posting my btwholesale stats which show I am not!

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@morsoft,

I can see an engineer has been booked in for your fault so I think the best option at the moment is to wait for the outcome of that visit. 

@Booboo12,

I've had a look at the fault open on your account and it's now gotten to the point that engineers have determined that there is little else that can be done to increase the speeds available and as you're below the minimum guaranteed speeds you have two options, to accept that your throughput speeds will likely remain similar to what you're seeing, or we can allow you out of your contract.

Booboo12
Dabbler

ok thanks We would like to end our contract then. We have not received the promised compensation for months of poor service either.

Booboo12
Dabbler

Ok have spoken to Bt and they say they can guarantee downloads of 50Mb don't understand why you are saying 17.1 but anyway we are only getting 15 at best.

spoke to anothe agent from the faults dept a few moments ago on the phone and they are sending a new router in case thats the problem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Booboo12 

We would like to end our contract then. 

I've set a marker on your account not to hold you to term if your migration out happens within the next 30 days.

We have not received the promised compensation for months of poor service either.

I'm afraid that we don't refund for speed faults as your service was still working albeit slower than expected.

Ok have spoken to Bt and they say they can guarantee downloads of 50Mb don't understand why you are saying 17.1 but anyway we are only getting 15 at best.

Your line is almost 1 mile long so unfortunately there is no way you'd be able to achieve 50mbps with your line connected to the current cabinet it is on. Are BT advising that based on your telephone number?

spoke to anothe agent from the faults dept a few moments ago on the phone and they are sending a new router in case thats the problem.

Let us know how it goes, fingers crossed it helps however if it doesn't there's very little we can do as the engineer has basically deemed your service working within acceptable parameters for your length of line.

Sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment caused

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Booboo12
Dabbler

Thanks, we appreciate your honest reply and see now that we would likely have similar problems with another provider as they would be using the same line.Our Line now appears stable but slow and I think that's the best we are going to achieve without paying for expensive FTTP

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem and sorry for the disappointment.

It's not uncommon for Openreach to move lines to a closer cabinet if one is available or build a closer one, unfortunately as a service provider this isn't something we've any influence over. Having said that as FTTP is available in your area I'd doubt that anything will be done to improve on your FTTC speeds as there is an alternative. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Gandalf 

Re It's not uncommon for Openreach to move lines to a closer cabinet if one is available or build a closer one

You sure about that, as all communications I have had, recently, with Openreach about getting my line, and 20 others moved to a closer cabinet have been

We don't move lines

We don't add extra cabinets

We are concentrating on FTTP

We don't know when you can get it as you are not on the rollout

You can have it for over 20,000 quid

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Openreach may not be doing it in your area or may not do it for simply 20 lines however I can confirm Openreach do Live to Live (L2L) Migrations moving lines in bulk to closer cabinets. Where appropriate they may also build a new cabinet.

However this isn't something we have any influence over.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Booboo12
Dabbler

still experiencing drop outs and loss of speed down to only 3. at one point this week. logged with support but no reply. can someone take a look please.