cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything I can do to eke a little more speed?

BHLC
Dabbler

Anything I can do to eke a little more speed?

Had the fibre installed a couple of months or so now, and apart from an issue with a dodgy outside junction box, it's been pretty stable. However, I was wondering if there was anything I could do to maximise possible speed. We're not that far from the cabinet, and the BT Adsl checker shows a theoretical speed of between 38 and 30 (clean) with plusnet's own estimate at 29.
However we're currently connecting at 21 (down from 22.4 in the last few days). While this speed is more than acceptable compared to the 2-3mb we had before fibre, I'd like to maximise the potential if possible.
Existing hardware setup is BT Openreach ECI modem (in master socket - we don't have any extension sockets) with a TP-LINK TD-W8980 router. Anything I can do/change to eke out a tad more speed?
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Anything I can do to eke a little more speed?

Hi first thing to check is the BTw IP profile to see what it's set at that's the main one,  and then go from there
so go here and run the speed test ignore the red writing  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
once done select further diagnostics enter your phone number and when complete post the results here
BHLC
Dabbler

I haven't been able to get the further diagnostics to work for some weeks now. Comes up with internal server errors every time.
JasonMassey
Grafter

Replacing the standard modem cable with twisted pair shielding cable.  This could possible make a minor improvement.
http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-0-5m.html
BHLC
Dabbler

Thanks for that, I shall give it a go. I wondered if cable changes etc would make a difference.
Also - one thing I noticed - when we had fibre installed, the open reach engineer never changed our socket in any way, just left on the old Solwise Adsl splitter I'd bought from Amazon a few years ago http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003H6GUNA/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=increasebroadba...
Would upgrading to a proper Openreach Mk3 VDSL faceplate make a difference - and is this something the engineer should have done in the first place?
Thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

The engineers normally upgrade the faceplate so I'm surprised he's not done it.
It's certainly worth a go.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BHLC
Dabbler

Thanks, Matthew.
Do I need to buy one from Openreach? I presume I can buy one somewhere, or sweet-talk an engineer next time i pass one Wink
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

If you can message me your username I can run a few tests.
We may be able to get a engineer out to see if there's any faults on the line.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
BHLC
Dabbler

Thanks, Matthew. Sent. Smiley
nblackburn
Dabbler

Quote from: BHLC
Thanks for that, I shall give it a go. I wondered if cable changes etc would make a difference.
Also - one thing I noticed - when we had fibre installed, the open reach engineer never changed our socket in any way, just left on the old Solwise Adsl splitter I'd bought from Amazon a few years ago http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003H6GUNA/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=increasebroadba...
Would upgrading to a proper Openreach Mk3 VDSL faceplate make a difference - and is this something the engineer should have done in the first place?
Thanks.

I don't have any extension sockets either but after installing an Openreach VDSL faceplate my sync speed jumped from ~22Mbps to 26-28Mpbs. So it's worth trying, there's plenty for sale on ebay.
BHLC
Dabbler

Thanks, I'll get one in that case. Matthew has found an external fault on the line too, which should be repaired by the 20th or so, but will definitely upgrade the faceplate and cable as well - might as well do what I can. I hope to go for 4K Netflix and Amazon downloads once I can persuade her indoors that we really really need a new telly Wink