cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using pfSense?

robatworkuk
Grafter

Anyone using pfSense?

Anyone else using a pfSense router having problems with their plusnet FTTC DSL recently?

I will leave the question general for now and can go into more details if anyone bites....... thanks

4 REPLIES 4
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Anyone using pfSense?

It depends what you are seeing... @legume is seeing some tcp problems, I have tried to do some meaningfull testing but with the kids going full tilt it would be hard for me to make a fair statement of whether I see the same problem or not at this moment in time. But It looks like something isn't as expected hence my curiosity!

pfsense, great choice.

graph.PNG

robatworkuk
Grafter

It's not that but perhaps some more details on what I'm getting. I have a pfsense box with 3 WAN connections on 3 NICs. One is plusnet and it just stopped working - gateway down.

So I moved to another NIC - still down.

Changed NIC - still down.

Tried another modem (it's FTTC) - still down

Tried another router - plus works OK (on both modems)

Tried direct connection to a PC with PPPoE - works OK (on both modems)

Booted up a spare pfsense box, loaded from scratch and connected LAN and WAN - still down!

So there's no logic here as the connection to plusnet is fine on other devices but not on pfsense. The other connections work fine still on the pfsense.

Seems like a pfsense issue but nothing's changed - no updates and no config changes

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

@robatworkuk The best advice I can give is to head over to Level1Techs

I know the guys over there will be a little more on your level.

Best Regards

robatworkuk
Grafter

I have "fixed" this - for now anyway.

It turns out that the pfsense pings that get sent to the gateway to determine if it's alive must have failed. This must now be blocked by plusnet - I have now set the pfsense "monitor" IP to one of the plusnet DNS servers as it defaults to the gateway it picked up.. This now connects and stays up.

This functionality must be something that plus have changed and no kudos to their tech support who didn't inform me of that, and probably didn't even understand what I meant when I submitted my query to them judging by the reply I got.

If anyone is reading this a bit higher up the technical food chain, perhaps you can confirm that something changed on the gateways that your business customers use?  I have just picked up 195.166.130.253 which is pingable from a windows PC externally but not apparently from the apinger daemon in pfsense.