Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone understand how OpenReach work ??

StuartUK35
Grafter

Anyone understand how OpenReach work ??

Hey all, does anyone know how OpenReach work ?Huh
In short, my area (new build area, been in development for past 10 years) cannot get Fibre, but it could get fibre, but now cannot.
Current offering is 19th century phone lines, with ADSL, and an average speed of 3.7mb  (Postcode:  GL2 2EE  for reference, not exactly out in the middle of nowhere, and no, I don't live at that postcode! Cheesy  )
Do note that, that's ADSL, not ADSL2
Past 8 weeks, on the Fibre Checker website, the area has gone from 'EA'  which is enabled area, finalising cabinet.....
Then on the 18th Feb, went to 'AO' which is accepting Fibre Orders, so all the ISP's including LLU take orders....
2 days later (I only just found out today), the Fibre checker website now states:
'ES' - Exploring Solutions.
How do those retards at OpenReach, go from stating that the green cab is nearly ready for Fibre, then ready and accepting orders, and then back to the StoneAge of wondering how to install a cabinet ????Huh
Sad
P**sed off is an understatement, and not at PN as I know its out of there control (although lack of communication isn't!)...
I just don't get OR!  Within 1/2 mile, there is the exchange, and within 1 1/2 miles, there is a large BT site (engineers yard I think)....
I live on a new development, you would have thought a communications provider would have used common sense and put the foundations down along with the build, etc...  Same goes for Virgin, the whole area is not cable enabled, wtf!!!
However, am more focused on trying to understand how OpenReach can 1 minute take orders (from ISP's), then 2 days later, go back to Stage 1, which means they do nothing for the next 2 - 3 YEARS!
8 REPLIES 8
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Anyone understand how OpenReach work ??

Are you definitely on Cab 29? You can check here - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
The cabinet for the postcode you've listed is full and awaiting new capacity (it gives an ETA on the checker).
StuartUK35
Grafter

When I click on that link, and goto Postcode checker, doesn't give me any info other than saying rubbish ADSL MAX broadband and 3.5mb speed.....
I goto this:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.postcode
my postcode - GL2 2DS
Shows me same info, StoneAge ADSL..
No ISP accepted FTTC orders before the 18th Feb, so I was on the ball 1st thing in the morning on that date.... Very doubtful the cab would be labelled as full!
AndyH
Grafter

That cabinet (P29) went live back in Sep 2013.
What does it say at the top of the checker for your address? Does it say Exchange HARDWICKE is served by Cabinet 29?
Edit: It should also show something like:
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 73.4 54 20 16.5 -- 25-Mar-15
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 64.8 35.1 20 10.7 -- 25-Mar-15
StuartUK35
Grafter

Don't know where you see all that extra info Huh
I get this:
For Postcode GL2 2DS

Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date

ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 5.5 Available
Fixed Rate  1  -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.
Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.
The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.
----------------------------
Yes, the exchange is Hardwicke, very close by!
I don't have a telephone line as yet, as the order was for a line+fibre, and both got cancelled, which means raising an order for telephone + stongeage ADSL at present.....

AndyH
Grafter

Put in your phone number here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the results (delete your phone number).
I think you might be using the postcode rather than address checker?
StuartUK35
Grafter

Spoke to a guy on the phone last night from PlusNet, got a bit more info as to why my order was cancelled.....
and in my translation, I believe this is correct.
OpenReach have fibre enabled cabinet (Cab 29) on the Hardwicke Exchange....
They are aware many customers via ISP's want the service.
They have the option to install the cards to create the pairs needed for Fibre...
The recent announcement made by OpenReach that orders could be placed on the 18th Feb meant that capacity would be available....
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Estimating that around 20 customers would order on the 18th Feb, Openreach installed at the Dslam capacity for 6 users.
So that's why I now have to use broadband invented by Alexander Graham Bell, also known as MAX, meaning an estimated 3.5mb connection....  Even rural users in Mordor get faster than this, and I live in a city on a newish estate!   Unreal, OpenReach truly suck....
PlusNet once again been good to me for the other stuff (apart from the 1 major hiccup..)
I emailed OpenReach last night, and got a reply this morning (fibre team)...
there response was:  You will be able to order Fibre estimated at the end of March.  This is dependant on whether the engineer will finish his Pot Noodle and remember how to install a line card.  If the engineer fails to follow instructions, or doesn't understand Huwaei, then you will have to wait until maybe March 2016 until OR learn how to be pro-active....  Cheesy  (ok, slight translation there  Tongue )
AndyH
Grafter

That cabinet (which is actually an ECI cabinet) went live 18 months ago though and it was completed under BT's commercial programme.
Openreach don't put in all the FTTC line cards straight away when installing fibre cabinets - there is no point and you would be wasting money/resources. When an cabinet becomes 75% full, it triggers an upgrade which can take a week to several weeks (depending on location/work required etc).
There has been a delay in putting extra capacity in for your cabinet going back several months. I'm unable to see the exact reason though.
StuartUK35
Grafter

The delay which I know has been going on for months (many), is because OR employ Retards.
I don't mean the engineers, I mean the decision level when it comes to planning and implementing.
My guess is, the same guy that oversees the FTTC for this area worked for Virgin Media some time ago
(By that, I mean Virgin spent thousands laying down cable in our small business area, which is also for SME's, and has been live since late 2013 for Virgin Media Business.....
However, they set the scope to run leased lines only, which carry a monthly premium of £300 +  , and given this 1 area is all SME's, with my business being the largest employees on site (12), there is no requirement for Leased Lines, which I have confirmed with the 9 other businesses here...  So therefore, because they wont allow normal cable services at say £50 a month, you have a cabled area with no customers.....)
So above guy who worked for Virgin must have gone to OR, and done the opposite, Has the customers, but wont provide the means!  doh!!