cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have a spare BT modem - South Wales/West ?

StuartUK35
Grafter

Anyone have a spare BT modem - South Wales/West ?

Morning all,
If anyone just happens to have a spare BT modem or one of the old ones lying around, and want to sell it to me (reasonable price!), would love to hear from you ASAP!!!!!
I have the Huewai V2  modem, its got the 10 second power cycle fault, and although reported to PlusNet, I have been told that the fault raised sits in the "to do" tray for 3 work days, then between coffee breaks, it will be passed to BT, and sometime in January, I will get a replacement Fibre modem.
In the meantime, I have no Internet which causes big issues for us.
So if by chance anyone reading this who is within 80 miles of Cardiff, I would love to buy your old modem, so I can receive a service I pay PlusNet for Sad
16 REPLIES 16
helidan
Grafter

Re: Anyone have a spare BT modem - South Wales/West ?

Ebay, can get hold of unlocked ones as well.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: StuartUK35
........... I have been told that the fault raised sits in the "to do" tray for 3 work days, then between coffee breaks.........

That's absolutely disgusting, and because it's Christmas, you never know your luck it could get worse.
And here we are 1000 in the morning , and not one of the regular CRT members on the Forum Angry
StuartUK35
Grafter

ebay no good, as with delivery, would take too long.
In reply to , I raised a fault yesterday morning, with support telling me I need to do a PPPoE test for a dead modem.  That's the same as saying "take your car for a drive, which just got stolen 1hr ago".
That ticket appeared to be an internal thing, so I raise again, then I get told it will sit in the "to do" tray for 3 days.
I then read on this forum, a poster with 3 posts (not a regular as you call it) has same fault, he asks what can be done, and within an hour, he has a replacement booked.
So yes, I have a right to rant when I see that all customers are not treated equally.
Back on topic, I need a modem, have checked ebay, but no sellers within south west or midlands even.... Sad
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

May I suggest that you keep your eyes open for a BTOR van? The engineers are in the main most helpful & they might sort you out as a favour, particukarly if you slip him a note.
sjptd
Grafter

Worth trying CEX https://uk.webuy.com/ though it looks from their website as if they don't deal in them.  Good luck finding something.
StuartUK35
Grafter

didn't think of CEX, thank you!
and good idea about the OP vans, ironically, saw 3 yesterday, all within the area I live, got the cash, so yeah, fingers crossed, I see a van today (just hope the driver don't panic if I start flashing my lights at him! hah !)
StuartUK35
Grafter

Guys,
Found a spare BT Modem (friend has one)  which i'll pick up tonight....
if I'm right, the modem is just that...  Plug it in, router still has same config, so once the DSL light is back on, router should authenticate and away we go ?Huh
I don't have to change any settings on the modem do I ?Huh
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

nope, should just be plug and play.
fingers crossed it works for you Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
helidan
Grafter

Quote from: StuartUK35
Guys,
Found a spare BT Modem (friend has one)  which i'll pick up tonight....
if I'm right, the modem is just that...  Plug it in, router still has same config, so once the DSL light is back on, router should authenticate and away we go ?Huh
I don't have to change any settings on the modem do I ?Huh

Unless it's unlocked I don't think you can change settings.  Should be plug&play but double check your router is set for PPPoE not PPPoATM or whatever they call it.
Anotherone
Champion

I'm glad you managed to find a spare modem StuartUK35, let's hope it works Ok for you.
But here we are at the end of the day and not one single post on this thread from Plusnet CRT. It would have been reassuring to see a post stating that the fault had been passed to Openreach for the OP, especially as this is just before a holiday period.
StuartUK35
Grafter

Well, heres an update for you....
You will be pleased to know that:
This post (asking for a spare modem) and my original post pointing out the fault = No input from PlusNet
My ticket/fault that I raised 48hrs ago, and included me giving extra input to the fault = No input from PlusNet. (an internal message saying "we aim to frustrate you as long as possible by doing nothing and posting stupid comments" is not Input!)
What does this tell me ?
It tells me that after 3 1/2 years as a Res FTTC customer, it is time to give the 30 days notice and head over to Sky, or another FTTC provider.  They might be just as bad Customer service wise, but at least I don't see adverts like PN do claiming good support.
I also run several of our business ADSL lines with PN, which are soon to be out of contract.  The above is making me consider moving these lines too.
I am back online at home now, as the modem I bought last night worked as expected.  However, I see still this as 'No Service', as my contract with PN is for them to provide me with Fibre & required tools in exchange for my monthly fee.  No tools provided, so i'll seek recovery of costs, no matter if it costs me more, Principal is key here.
I am bitter about this whole thing, and being this close to Xmas doesn't help, but what digs in the most, is seeing an identical post to mine from a New forum user, and being told his issue is actioned straight away and engineers booked straight away for next day fixing (ie: some guy to open a box, take modem out and plug into mains, look at green light and say "TaDaaaaaaaaa!" )
Where as my fault is overlooked.  No technical help required, just the tool needed for you to provide a service (a modem!), seems that is too much of an issue.
Anotherone
Champion

I've flagged this to CRT as they don't seem to have spotted it yet!
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

they did, in another thread.
they have posted a replacement modem out the user.
hurrah... a charity is now £100 better off
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there.
I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've had. From looking into your posts it appears there's been a few issues that need investigating.
Unfortunately your initial post on here was outside of the hours we operate the forums which was why it wasn't picked up as quickly as the other post that you saw. Regardless we should have picked that up the next day.
With regards to the fault that you raised we aim to get these picked up within 48 to 72 hours of the report being raised. The agent you spoke with and our webchat team could have booked the appointment there and then so I have fed this back to ensure that they're aware in future.
I've dropped a ticket on your account with regards to refund and a goodwill gesture but if there's anything else we can help you with feel free to let us know.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team