cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having problems with 76Mb Unlimited Fibre Extra?

alanch

Anyone else having problems with 76Mb Unlimited Fibre Extra?

I've been with PlusNet since 2012 with the 76Mb package. Super happy until the last 2 months.

The broadband speed has been really slow. Using mybroadbandspeed.co.uk, I'm getting:

- download speed of 40.18Mbps

- upload speed of 6.73Mbps

I've been talking to support for well over a month to sort this out. Been told to reset the router as they have increased the limit on my line etc... It didn't help.

And thus it went on back and forth with engineers visiting my house and checking the line.

Now today, one of the support guys tell me that my speed of 40.16Mbps is correct because the 76Mbps was just a line estimate at the beginning when I bought the broadband package. Since more people have joined Plusnet, I am getting the right speed.

Is this the case with some of you?

This has been quite frustrating 2 months for me including the engineer not turning up to my house 3 times over the course of the issue.

7 REPLIES 7
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Anyone else having problems with 76Mb Unlimited Fibre Extra?

Hi @alanch

Welcome to the new forums.

Have you looked at the information in https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-Speed-Faults/m-p/1270253#U1270253 to see if this offers any clues?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
alanch

Thanks @SpendLessTime

1. I have connected my PC directly to the router. Not using wireless.

2. From the btwholesale.com website:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 39.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-41.69 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 41.69 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.1Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

3. From PlusNet:

Estimated line speed:There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.

Current line speed:78 Mb

Thanks.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Okay, well the speed is now below the acceptable range so I cannot see any reason not to raise a fault.

But 1 last check before you run off to log a FTTC fault at https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

Have you checked for a phone fault specifically the line has a background noise or is too quiet at https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/  assuming Plusnet provide your phone line too? Always best to cover that base first.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @alanch Welcome to the forums.

I've had a look over your account and it looks like when you initially signed up, your line was achieving around 51Mbps download speeds, however the history of the connection speeds does seem to indicate that automated speed reports sent to us by our suppliers have always been around 41Mbps to 51Mbps.

I've had a look at the estimates for your line at http://dslchecker.bt.com and this does confirm download estimates of 40Mbps to 55Mbps download. So although towards the bottom end of the speed estimates (Download Sync speed is currently around 43Mbps) the download speed is performing within the estimates for your line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
faybill
Dabbler

exactly same problem no joy from plusnet-seem to accept that BT is correct I asked some questions --they closed the fault, without answering ---measured on google plan 400metres BT say 606metres, admittedly there are some rises and falls on the line but not 200+ metres

the offer was put to go back to plan 38/2 or accept line as is on 47/14 on extra

white271
Hooked

same problem!!!

I'm getting 50/20 within months my download speed dropped.

Contacted Plusnet many times and because line is within estimate they wont do anything.

I have contacted them and cancelled my service due to (recent price change) so it was free to do it ( 3 months out of 12 months contract)

Went to bt infinity 1 55/10- ( £125 cash card + £125 topcashback ) 

so it works after cashback as £13.50 / month including phone line (plusnet cost £33 / month - discounted) so I don't mind 10mbps upload less and £20 in my pocket.

and will change provider next year again with cashback Wink

alanch

Thanks for the reply everyone.

It seems that I'm not the only one. It is disappointing though because I used to get very good speeds.

I'm sure they were close to 76mbps in the first 2 years at least but it sort of died down.

But it looks like I have to accept this.

@white271 The BT Infinity cashback thing sounds good. I'll definitely take a look. Thanks!