cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to petition for a new cabinet to be installed?

Fru
Dabbler

Any way to petition for a new cabinet to be installed?

Hi all,
I've had my FTTC for a couple of years and get about 12Mb down, 0.3Mb up on average. I had extensive investigations done when it was first installed and the low speed was determined to be purely down to the distance to the cabinet - 1.1km
I've lived with it until now, but with more people in the house using the connection, particularly video streaming via Netflix etc, it's starting to creak at the seams a bit. Gaming pings go through the roof in the evening and I also now need to upload files via FTP which takes ages. I am currently uploading a large file via my mobile's 3G connection, which goes at about 1.5Mb up - 5x faster than my fibre!
So my question is, is there any way to petition Openreach to install a new, closer cabinet? (I'd be happy to host it in my front garden Wink ) Is there any precedent for this?
Or am I just stuck with it (no cable option in this area, sadly)
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Any way to petition for a new cabinet to be installed?

unless you're willing to pay for it yourself, then the chances would be between slim and none in reality.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

A shame that there isn't a method to install or pay to install equipment (close to home, or anywhere really) and have a percentage of all income in exchange. It would be fair if the return on investment was beneficial (more than you'd get in interest from a Bank normally), I'm thinking 7-10% over perhaps 15 years, with the equipment becoming entirely BTO after that. the benefit would be spreading the cost to BTO and getting someone locally to chase for upgrades. Speed of uptake would be an issue but in the event of being out of pocket you could charge the loss against tax spread over that time. It might need a bit of tax legislation to allow this but its a way to get communities and individuals to take ownership locally, and I reckon it would be a winner.
dnpark38
Rising Star

Fru you raise an interesting question.
I'm limited to the up to 38 Mb due to being too from my cabinet to have the up to 76 Mb fibre.
Would be nice to know if BT/OR have a plan to improve the location of cabinets to give us all the choice of up to 76 Mb.
Anyone any experience of a present cabinet becoming full, I think my cabinet can have 84 fibre customers, which to me is not a lot for its area, what do BT/OR reach do?
A second cabinet in another part of the area or a second next to present one?
Apparently I can have a fibre to post which would be great but I'm afraid to ask the cost, as no doubt they would want paying for the installation of it.
Regarding you fibre speed of 12 Mb I thought there was a rule that if one was to be supplied with FTTC you had to achieve over a certain speed (18 Mb?)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
PembsPanther
Grafter

Op check out to see if there are any wifi provisioning companies in your area, we are having a wife bsed system installed next week for our business, we now have fibre with PN and can get 76mbps download (not seen it yet though, log story) but the local "hotspot" company, dragon wifi in my case re installing 150mbps download and  50mbps upload with unlimited data for £25 + vat a month! The initial install is £179 + vat for us so a no brainer really.
If it works the way they have promised and PN do not improve soon this will be the very last PN contract I enter Smiley
stuartgreen
Dabbler

Quote from: dnpark38

Anyone any experience of a present cabinet becoming full, I think my cabinet can have 84 fibre customers, which to me is not a lot for its area, what do BT/OR reach do?

I've had a colleague experience this in his village - what they do is precisely nothing. He was told he had to wait until someone left and freed up a connecting. Then it was a waiting game until one of his neighbours moved house and frantically called to get a new connection provisioned.