cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to find out more accurate fibre availability date?

tommyleed

Any way to find out more accurate fibre availability date?

Hi, we have been told on numerous occasions that fibre would be available soon. In 2013, we were told 2015 and in 2015 we were told they don't know. I phoned at the start of this year and the guy said that it shouldn't be much longer than 3 months. Still nothing! I have to make do with a 1.6Mb download speed, which is ok for browsing etc, even youtube works ok. However, when an xbox or ps4 is turned on, the whole thing goes down the drain. I turned on an xbox whilst on the phone to support and they said that my upstream bandwidth was instantly maxed. It is basically unusable when people are trying to game on it. I am quite a bit away from the exchange. I am connected to cabinet 12 which is the main cabinet. It is fibre enabled and there are a few 'sub-cabinets' along the road, all of which have the 'fibre enabled' sticker on them, well up until my cabinet anyway. Is this a good sign that it is making its way to my cabinet? I live only about a 2 or 3 minute walk from my nearest cabinet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Any way to find out more accurate fibre availability date?

I am about the same distance from my nearest cabinet as you but, unfortunately, I am fed from a cabinet that is closest to the exchange almost 1.5 miles away which means my estimated fibre speeds according to the availability checker are much less than I get on ADSL 2.

Is the nearest cabinet you are connected to the same as that shown in the checker?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

medge799

Hi,

You might like to try the site at http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx. This will show the progress of any work in your area. We've just been in the same situation as you, with dates slipping one year every year. However, we've just been upgraded!

Last year I took the time to contact our local councillor about lack of broadband provision; maybe it was coincidence, maybe not. Who knows? Keep the pressure up and it will come...

Ta,

Mark

medge799

tommyleed

Hi, the checker shows that i am connected to cabinet 12 which is quite a bit away, but an engineer told me that i would get fibre from the cabinet nearest me when it becomes available. Thanks.

tommyleed

Also, have been using the availability checker for years now with no luck. It changed from exploring solutions to cabinet is enabled, bu too far away about amyear ago. The engineer told me however that the checker wasnt reading from the right cabinet