cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any options for retaining upload speeds

djbenson
Grafter

Any options for retaining upload speeds

I've just come to the end of my 18 month contract with Plus.net and whilst I'd heard of the cut in upload speed, I hadn't considered the implications to me until now. I have a static IP with Plus.net and use upload bandwidth a bit when I'm working away from home to VPN into the house and stream video etc. A cut to 2mb is a killer blow for me so I wanted to know if there are any options at all or if I just have to accept it and leave (as staying isn't an option if the upload speed does get cut).

I noticed on the forums there was talk of a 52/10 product (apparently those on 38 were migrated to it in August) - have I misunderstood that, as I am on the 38 product and that's advertised as 38/2?

Is it not possible to be provisioned (with the associated costs) onto a higher tier than your line supports? i.e. if I was on the 76/20 product then I would at least keep the upload speed I have now.

What about just making changes to my existing services to cut costs? If I dropped the call package and paid 12 months line rental, that to me is a zero change to my broadband service so I should be able to stay on the old 38 product until it is forcibly removed, right?

Any other options?

22 REPLIES 22
djbenson
Grafter

Re: Any options for retaining upload speeds

Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 80000 20000
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 37249 4145
Current throughput kbit/s 36134 4123

In the above (from the DSL stats of my Fritz!Box) does the 80/20 relate to the maximum the equipment in the cab supports or is that the product I am provisioned on? When I had a fault recently, the OR engineer swore blind I was on the 80/20 profile but I know I'm paying for the 38mb package.

Also, those speeds are pretty close to the threshold of the maximum for the 38 product, would I likely see any increase if I moved to the 76mb one (do those stats support a case to be moved onto it or not I guess is what I'm asking)?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi there,

From taking a look, I believe that you should actually be on the 55/10 product anyway. With that in mind, I'll place an order to get you provisioned correctly. This means that your upload should perform to it's maximum capabilities.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
djbenson
Grafter

Mmm OK so how does that affect retentions then? If I should be on 55/10 does that mean if I take out a new contract it will be on the 55/10 product and as such no impact on my speeds?

I guess then that the 38/2 product is for new customers? Or does it affect contract renewals too (if I'm understanding correctly, if I renew my contract I will not see a drop from 55/10 to 38/2)?

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@djbenson wrote:

I noticed on the forums there was talk of a 52/10 product (apparently those on 38 were migrated to it in August) - have I misunderstood that, as I am on the 38 product and that's advertised as 38/2?

That was for customers on a 40/20 product only ( provisioned on 80/20) who where then changed to a 55/10 product. PN do not sell this product 

Is it not possible to be provisioned (with the associated costs) onto a higher tier than your line supports? i.e. if I was on the 76/20 product then I would at least keep the upload speed I have now.

If your line will not support higher than 40mb , PN will not provision you on a higher speed product 

Any other options?

Yes , another ISP if you want the 40/10 product

Regards
Mike 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

So if your line only supports 40/20 PN will provision you on 55/10?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Customers provisioned on a 40/20 profile should have been shifted to 55/10 back in August.

djbenson
Grafter

@MattyC can you confirm what will happen if I renew my contract, will I renew on the 55/10 product or will I be shunted back to the 38/2?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Recontracting will move you back down to 38/2 on the basis of a new contract. Recontracting should keep you on 55/10, it's an open problem we have at the moment and are actively investigating. Be happy to see if there's a way I can get round getting you onto Fibre Extra, however it requires a bit of a workaround, hence it being unavailable when speaking with Customer Options.

djbenson
Grafter

That would be really good - I don't particularly want to leave Plusnet but it feels a bit like my hands are tied at the moment.

djbenson
Grafter

That being said, if you refer to @HarryB's post in this thread: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Another-one-not-happy-about-the-cut-in-upload-to-2Mbps... it says "I don't believe the speed should have changed when renewing your contract, therefore I will make sure you're put back on 55/10 provisioned speeds." - this seems to contradict what you said above?

The poster in that thread renewed their contract and got downgraded until HarryB stepped in and got their package re-upgraded.

Very confusing!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@MattyC wrote:

Recontracting will move you back down to 38/2 on the basis of a new contract.

How does that work for those currently on 55/10 at the end of their contract?

Re-contract and take a speed hit or ??????

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re-contracting is optional isn't it?

Do nothing and stay on 55/10 and pay the same rates.

Also has the advantage that you can leave immediately if you see a better offer.

2Mbits is only 256KBytes/sec - pathetic.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, disregard my response there for now. I'm just going to get further clarification.

My apologies, I've updated my comment.

kevinduke
Grafter

I am not convinced that you will see any increase in speed.

Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 80000 20000 this is manually entered into the fritzbox in the connection settings and not what it is seeing from the cabinet.