cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any news of speeds faster than 76 Mbps?

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Any news of speeds faster than 76 Mbps?

Quote from: Melancholie
If 90% of the market don't care about BT Sport their strategy is extremely flawed.

Those numbers are based on BT TV subscribers though, which will not include people who take BT to get the free BT Sport via Sky or online.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: Randall8686
Yes Bt are currently Testing this "G fast" should see upto 700mbps down your copper line, Saves running fibre Wink
http://recombu.com/digital/news/a1-gfast-bt-lab-trials

How fast does it go down ali?
The 40m of cabling to my house (including the dropwire) is all ali.  So g.fast would still be going over that.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat
Presumably the point of the advertising is to persuade more people to care. Just like the advertising of Superfast (whether retail advertising of BT Infinity, or generic advertising of each superfast-XXX county) is meant to persuade people to swap to a fibre-based product.
Both market shares are improving, so the advertising is having an effect. Are the shares improving fast enough to say the campaigns are successful? Hard for us to know that.
Certainly BT's aim is to both improve their market share for phone & broadband, to create a market share for TV, and to improve the income per subscriber (ARPU). Spending on both the rollout of fibre and on the sports rights are their chosen vehicles for achieving this; I see no problem in either... yet I am not a subscriber to BT Infinity, and wouldn't choose to jump there for access to BT sports. I am not their target market, but I understand what they are aiming for.

They were growing anyway.
Is BT sport a selling point? yes.  But I dont give it the same value as sky sports.  BT sport is ok if you like rugby or the top 4 EPL teams.
However lets look at it another way.  The 2/3 FTTC rollout capital spending if it was doubled, instead of BT sports would that have been as effective as BT sports, I think probably not.  As harsh as that sounds.
BT dont care if you get FTTC or FTTP even tho the latter is better, the former still allow's them to advertise fibre due to sloppy ASA regulation and compete with the likes of VM.  In other words FTTC is "good enough".  They can advertise up to 76mbit as only 10% of consumers are required to achieve that speed.  With that said I think their spending in BT sports wont break even with current strategy.  The tell tale signs of this is how BT have been raising line costs since.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat
Over the phone line? The most likely advance to come to your line first is the addition of Vectoring to the existing FTTC cabinet. BT are trialling this in a few cabinets in a couple of towns.
The main aim of this technology is to remove crosstalk, which is interference from other FTTC subscribers. Crosstalk, it turns out, is a major factor in causing speed drops - so adding Vectoring is a major advance in restoring speeds back to those attainable as though you were the only customer on the cabinet, and can do so quite consistently.
This consistency allows telco operators to choose to provision higher package speeds - so you might see 100/30 or 100/25 as a higher package available - and have a reasonable number of subscribers capable of hitting those speeds.
In vendor tests, downstream speeds of 100Mbps have been seen out to 500m from the cabinet. However, we don't yet know what is possible in BT's environment - using BT wire, with BT transmit power, and with ANFP power masks applied (ie power reductions to prevent interference to ADSL customers).
BT have said that they see vectoring as a tool to help that consistency, rather than a way of boosting speeds, but it wouldn't surprise me for packages of 100Mbps to become available. For one thing, it helps the country meet the EU's digital agenda targets for 2020.

Not to mention they dont have vectoring compliant kit in ECI cabinets. So we may see a off spec non standard solution for ECI peeps or even worse they get no vectoring at all.
All the industry tests have been done over copper cable, a fair chunk of openreach's network is ali and also damaged.
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: Elliot
Whilst the speed is fine, I'll always want more Tongue

I have 210 down going to 370 soon Smiley
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: Randall8686
Virgin Media ! seriously ? they are RUBBISH ! yes there figures are impressive however lost packets and very naff traffic management put them into a no go zone !

The traffic management hat no longer exists? And ive never had packet loss and get full speed all the time.
How times change eh!?
chrcoluk
Grafter

VM will depend on the area, I would stay away if students are in the area.
At both address's I had VM I suffered obscene amounts of congestion, in the latter case it improved after moving to docsis3 but was still visible.  The problem with VM is the small shared pipes in proprotion to the size of the services been sold, a single top tier customer can cause jitter for others in some cases and only 2-3 top tier customers maxing out their lines is probably need to cause very visible congestion. On dsl there is much more resilience than that.
petecov44
Grafter

yes it is area dependant and my area is just fine - that's all I care about Smiley Like I said got another going in next week to make it faster Smiley