Any news of speeds faster than 76 Mbps?

Elliot
Grafter

Any news of speeds faster than 76 Mbps?

Whilst the speed is fine, I'll always want more Tongue
22 REPLIES 22
Randall8686
Grafter

Re: Any news of speeds faster than 76 Mbps?

long term or short term ? i have had 81 on fttc (not my connection a customers) however the street cab is 4 feet from his front door.
FTTPod is the next step i guess but dig deep as install costs can run very high. Watch this space as BT are running trials on all sorts of tech running over copper lines, I dont think we have seen the maximum speed down your copper line yet
Elliot
Grafter

I was hoping for at least 100 Mbps, or perhaps even the 150 Mbps that Virgin Media offer.
jim:quote
Randall8686
Grafter

Virgin Media ! seriously ? they are RUBBISH ! yes there figures are impressive however lost packets and very naff traffic management put them into a no go zone !
Elliot
Grafter

This isn't a discussion of which ISP is better.
I was just wondering if there were plans, or even tests, of higher package speeds than 75 Mbps.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

while my average is 73mbs i did once get over 100  Cool
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3762382387
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Randall8686
Grafter

Yes Bt are currently Testing this "G fast" should see upto 700mbps down your copper line, Saves running fibre Wink
http://recombu.com/digital/news/a1-gfast-bt-lab-trials
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Elliot
The 150 Mbps that Virgin Media offer.

Just like their rockets then.  Grin  /coat
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

considering someone died and another ended up critically ill in that rocket i find it in poor taste, you can joke about Virgin medias service, speeds, traffic management etc without the need to bring up something that resulted in the death of someone who has a family ect a bit of respect wouldn't go amiss.  
Elliot
Grafter

Wow, that blew up.
WWWombat
Grafter

Over the phone line? The most likely advance to come to your line first is the addition of Vectoring to the existing FTTC cabinet. BT are trialling this in a few cabinets in a couple of towns.
The main aim of this technology is to remove crosstalk, which is interference from other FTTC subscribers. Crosstalk, it turns out, is a major factor in causing speed drops - so adding Vectoring is a major advance in restoring speeds back to those attainable as though you were the only customer on the cabinet, and can do so quite consistently.
This consistency allows telco operators to choose to provision higher package speeds - so you might see 100/30 or 100/25 as a higher package available - and have a reasonable number of subscribers capable of hitting those speeds.
In vendor tests, downstream speeds of 100Mbps have been seen out to 500m from the cabinet. However, we don't yet know what is possible in BT's environment - using BT wire, with BT transmit power, and with ANFP power masks applied (ie power reductions to prevent interference to ADSL customers).
BT have said that they see vectoring as a tool to help that consistency, rather than a way of boosting speeds, but it wouldn't surprise me for packages of 100Mbps to become available. For one thing, it helps the country meet the EU's digital agenda targets for 2020.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Melancholie
Grafter

No news at all.
There are no plans for Openreach to make any significant investment in the short or medium term.
More to the point BT Group couldn't care less about increasing the speeds. The mugs customers are flocking to them with the current broadband speeds due to BT Sport.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: Melancholie
flocking to them with the current broadband speeds due to BT Sport.

Yet their recent quarterly results tell us that they had over 200,000 new fibre connections in the quarter, but less than 40,000 connections took the TV package (no breakdown of what split was from new fibre connections vs old fibre or ADSL). Less than 20% of the people flocking to BT are doing so for the TV package.
That doesn't include the other 140,000 new fibre connections who chose an ISP other than BT. Altogether then: 38,000 new BT-TV connections vs 344,000 total new fibre connection; or about 11%.
Of course BT want to entice you into using your shiny new superfast connection with their IPTV offering; it is much higher margin stuff for them - and the current generation of superfast technology is a big enabler for them. However, 90% of the market doesn't care right now.
===============================================
Edit: I just realised that BT Sport is something of a freebie if you have the right BT broadband package, and that you *can* watch it online or on a Sky satellite without subscribing to a fuller TV package.
Its hard to tell what proportion of subscribers would actually make much use of that; I don't imagine it is huge, but I could easily be wrong.
===============================================
Plusnet Customer
Melancholie
Grafter

You need to tell BT this. Their advertising spend is still heavily skewed towards using BT Sport as a selling point.
Not to mention that they have thus far spent £1.5 billion on football rights - roughly the same as their CapEx spend on the commercial 2/3rds coverage last generation access network.
If 90% of the market don't care about BT Sport their strategy is extremely flawed.
WWWombat
Grafter

Presumably the point of the advertising is to persuade more people to care. Just like the advertising of Superfast (whether retail advertising of BT Infinity, or generic advertising of each superfast-XXX county) is meant to persuade people to swap to a fibre-based product.
Both market shares are improving, so the advertising is having an effect. Are the shares improving fast enough to say the campaigns are successful? Hard for us to know that.
Certainly BT's aim is to both improve their market share for phone & broadband, to create a market share for TV, and to improve the income per subscriber (ARPU). Spending on both the rollout of fibre and on the sports rights are their chosen vehicles for achieving this; I see no problem in either... yet I am not a subscriber to BT Infinity, and wouldn't choose to jump there for access to BT sports. I am not their target market, but I understand what they are aiming for.
Plusnet Customer