cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any fibre problems around Morpeth, NE? My speed has halved from 45 to 23...

Casey
Rising Star

Any fibre problems around Morpeth, NE? My speed has halved from 45 to 23...

Connected at 46xxx according to "helpdesk" but all the speed testers show 22-23 rather than the 44-45 I've had since joining. anyone know of any probs up here? Something to worry about or is it gonna be fixed?
3 REPLIES 3
Casey
Rising Star

Interesting

Interesting - I have been told not to reset the hub or turn it off unless absolutely needed - it causes the line profiler to think there's a fault and to limit speeds.

But - I told the hub to reset through the browser interface.

about 2 mins later it was back online and connected at 47 (in "helpdesk") with a 43-44 speedtest result.

Now the question is - WHY was it so low before the reset?

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Interesting

@Casey wrote:
Interesting - I have been told not to reset the hub or turn it off unless absolutely needed - it causes the line profiler to think there's a fault and to limit speeds.

Yes, it might. If you reset it or power cycle it it will drop the VDSL connection and the cabinet will wonder if there's a fault. It's okay to do it once but do it too many times in too short a period and the cabinet will start reduce your connection speed in an attempt to resolve what it sees as an unstable line. This has been a feature of BT's VDSL (and indeed ADSL) for many years now. It's what's referred to as 'DLM' - Dynamic Line Management.

Those of us with separate modem/router have less of a problem because we can do what we want with our routers as long as we leave the modem alone.

Now the question is - WHY was it so low before the reset?

Possibly you were on a different IP address (there seems to be a problem with 51.* at the moment). Your reset may have triggered a change to a better address.

Casey
Rising Star

Re: Interesting

Interesting.
The reset (just "reset hub") fixed it... but I was already on a 87.1xxx IP, still on 87.115.
Weird.