cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance of an upgrade to a newer gigabit router for a +3 yr customer?!

peanutismint

Any chance of an upgrade to a newer gigabit router for a +3 yr customer?!

Bit of an ask, but I've been a Plusnet customer for a good few years now and I'm currently in the process of upgrading my home network to gigabit speeds. However, unfortunately, I'm still stuck on an old Technicolour TG582n router (which I've heard was actually quite outdated when we first signed up for the service…). I've heard the newer models Plusnet supply are a lot better (and gigabit speed!), so I just wanted to ask whether there's any chance of getting an upgrade?
17 REPLIES 17
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Any chance of an upgrade to a newer gigabit router for a +3 yr customer?!

I would be tempted to get a cheap gigabit switch and plug your router and all other network devices into that.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

the new router isn't that much better and doesn't have gigabit ports either
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

none of the pn supplied routers are gigabit..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
peanutismint

Quote from: Strat
I would be tempted to get a cheap gigabit switch and plug your router and all other network devices into that.

Wait..... So plug my router and everything else into the switch? Where does my modem figure in all this? Or do you mean just use the Plusnet router for wifi only and do everything else via the switch? I have a spare Apple Airport Express I'm not using so theoretically I could just ditch the plus net router, plug my modem and my other wired stuff into a cheap gigabit switch, and also plug the Airport in to give me Wi-Fi…?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You need a router to provide internet access...(where you enter username and password).
The switch becomes the new centre of your network with all ethernet devices plugged into it...including one of the ethernet ports of your router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
peanutismint

Ah I see, of course; sorry I forgot I wasn't on Cable anymore 🙂
So the modem to the router and the router to the gigabit switch, and then the router serves the house with wifi (which isn't ever going to be fast enough for no gigabit to be a problem) whilst also feeding all the devices connected to the gigabit switch with Internet?
This is mainly happening because I'm adding a NAS and want all devices to be able to access it at the fastest speeds possible (for backups etc…), but correct me if I'm wrong – if I then connect the NAS to the gigabit switch, won't this mean that it won't be accessible by my devices over Wi-Fi? Due to the Wi-Fi router being "upstream" of everything else on my network? Or will this not matter?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Wifi connected devices will still be able to communicate with devices plugged to the switch.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I personally run this setup:
Router (TP-link with gib ports mostly unused) supplying wifi etc
-> 8 port gib switch
-> 5 port 100Mb switch downstairs for TV etc.
-> rest of network connected to switch directly
This allows me to transfer between the pc's at gib speed and stream movies etc to the Google TV box.
peanutismint

Quote from: Hairy
I personally run this setup:
Router (TP-link with gib ports mostly unused) supplying wifi etc
-> 8 port gib switch
-> 5 port 100Mb switch downstairs for TV etc.
-> rest of network connected to switch directly
This allows me to transfer between the pc's at gib speed and stream movies etc to the Google TV box.

That sounds like a great setup; the only thing stopping me from doing the same is that this Plusnet router is too old to contain gigabit ethernet 🙂 but it makes sense that everything AFTER the gigabit switch I've just ordered will A) receive internet from the Plusnet router and B) be at gigabit speeds, even if the internet feed is not (but then it would never reach those speeds anyway...).
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Since your down stream is <100Mb then the feed from the router -> switch can be @100Mb. Then everything else can get it at max speed within the network.
TerFar
Dabbler

I upgraded to a TP-Link Archer C8 (which I now believe has been superseded by the C9).
My old router was defunct and I went for the Archer C8 for its Gigabit ports and for its dual band wireless. If you are using wireless, switching from the 2.4 Gb band to the 5 Gb band reaps a huge increase. My Samsung Galaxy TAB S achieves approx 13 Mb/s on 2.4 but manages full speed (around 40 Mb/s at the moment) on the 5 Gb band. It's the same for my S5 mobile too. Metageek inSSider shows significantly greater signal in the house too (at least +10 dBm throughout).
You will still have to use the BT fibre modem with the Archer, but unless you are desperate to do everything from a single box, the BT modem is about as good as you can get. The best wireless routers with integrated fibre/ADSL modems, gigabit ports and dual band wireless will cost 2 to 3 times the Archer.
peanutismint

Quote from: Hairy
Since your down stream is <100Mb then the feed from the router -> switch can be @100Mb. Then everything else can get it at max speed within the network.

Yep - this makes sense - thanks!!
Quote from: TerFar
You will still have to use the BT fibre modem with the Archer, but unless you are desperate to do everything from a single box, the BT modem is about as good as you can get.

Nah I don't really mind having the modem and router separate; at least that way I never ever have to fiddle with the modem so I can't break anything catastrophically! 🙂 I just ordered another gigabit switch (had already ordered one for another room earlier today!) but they're only like £12 each on eBay at the moment so...
Now all I have to worry about is that I don't think the cable I've run in (about 2 years ago) is CAT5e, so I'm not getting gigabit from the router to my other room! :-S
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Cat 5e is fine for gigabit so you'll be fine.
Oops - Misread the post above!  Embarrassed
peanutismint

No, what I'm saying is, I don't think the cable I've run in is CAT5e... I think it's just regular CAT5 (which is weird as it's not a hugely old cable or anything...think I had it from when I had Virgin Media in another house a few years back...)