Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance of a lne test, please?

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Any chance of a lne test, please?

Long story, short...
Lost synch at around 6:15am on Thursday 26/2/15. About a minute later, connection is back up and running, but downstream synch speed has dropped from 62Mb or so to 52Mb.
"No problem", thinks I, "just wait until I can re-synch in daylight at the weekend." Busy yesterday, so today (Sunday 1/3/15), at around 11:30am I log in to the router (TP-Link TD-W998), drop the connection, then switch off the power. I go and have my breakfast, then switch on and reconnect. check line stats and find I've lost another 5Mb from the headline downstream synch, which is now sitting at this:
[tt]                    Upstream  Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)  13472      47853[/tt]
Now, don't get me wrong, it's still pretty whizzy, but losing 15Mb in 4 days is not good.
Before I start swapping to alternative hardware, I'd like a line test to see if the ILQ has changed, or if the INP has gone up. I can't get detailed stats from this router, so I may revert to the unlocked HG612 and run the stats collecting / monitoring tools I have been unable to use of late, but if the team can check my line first, I would appreciate it.
30 REPLIES 30
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Any chance of a lne test, please?

There's no interleaving applied to your line at the moment.
Your current profile is this "37M-74M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 8M-17M Upstream, Error Protection Off" so DLM isn't restricting your sync speed in any way.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matthew. I'll try the alternative hardware next weekend and see what occurs.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

I've put the HH5 on, with much trepidation) this afternoon, and already it has re-booted itself after about an hour online. Sadly, the speed hasn't picked up either, so I'm left with this:
[tt]1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: <redacted>
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 05/01/14
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:25:25
6. Data rate: 12465 / 48179
7. Maximum data rate: 12532 / 55820
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 21.5
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 20.4[/tt]
This is the model that everyone has been complaining about reboots, but as yet it hasn't updated the firmware, so I'll leave it on for a while and see if it settles down.
I'll need to try the OR modem next weekend, maybe...
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

The HH5 eventually did the firmware update, after about 2-3 days of it constantly rebooting itself. It stayed relatively stable after that.
This morning I disconnected the HH5 and after 20-30 minutes I put the TP-Link back on. It's a beautiful sunny day here today, so no adverse weather affecting the line. Unfortunately, it hasn't improved my synch rates.
So, it's dropped from a DS synch of around 62Mb to less than 50Mb. It's been steady-ish at the present rate since I started this thread, with different hardware, despite the issues with the HH5 when it was put back on.
Can I please get a GEA test to see if it is worth my while raising a fault?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

With the TD-W9980, it might be possible to gain access to detailed stats using the same trick I used on my TD-W8970, but because uploading a specially modified config file requires rebooting the TP-Link, you probably should wait a few days before even attempting it, it would be safer to experiment with it disconnected from your line, and then even if it works, the CLI to get the stats isn't particularly user friendly.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

I'm already using StatsPOSTer here, thanks. Nice one.  Cool
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

GEA test as requested below.
DLM hasn't banded the speeds either
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matthew. Looks fine, but the synch rate has dropped considerably, and is now much lower than the estimated speed from the BT Wholesale checker (screenshot attached).
It was previously synching at around 62Mb down but is now at 49536 download
Is this worth raising as a fault?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We can certainly see if there's anything that can be done although there's a chance it could be down to Crosstalk.
If that's the case then we wouldn't be able to do anything I'm afraid.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

The GEA test you kindly did for me shows "Not detected" for crosstalk.
I think I'll risk it...  Cool
JHewess
Grafter

Let me know how you get on Jaggies, as my 9980 decided to re-sync yesterday just before 10am, dropping my connection from the high 70's to the high 60's, and bumping my ping up from around 11ms to 25+ on the TBB BQM. It'd been stable and happy for weeks with no errors. My attainable rate is still showing as 79 down and 22 up, so no idea why it had decided to sync lower all of a sudden.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Fault raised, ref 101081919.
@ JHewess - I'm not blaming the router as I did a week with the HomeHub 5 and it was no better.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for that.
FYI the Crosstalk on the GEA test doesn't always pick it up but a engineer would be able to confirm.
The tickets with our Faults team and they'll get that looked into as soon as possible.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Cheers Matthew.
I've just done a QLT - clear as a bell. I couldn't do that yesterday - I rang 17070, and after a few seconds of silence got "This service is currently not available", along with an engaged tone. There were also some odd intermittent single rings on the phone last night, although that might have been the automated testing(?)
We shall see...