Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance of a GEA test, please?

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Any chance of a GEA test, please?

It's been a while since I posted on here about my FTTC speed issues, and following the reorganisation of the Forums I can't find the thread again, so time for a new thread.
I just let the fault report close automatically, due to the failure of OR to send an engineer at the requested time, and actually sending one round on the date an appointment was cancelled. I have only been in my present job a few months, and taking time off needs to be carefully managed, so random engineers turning up when I'm at work, and not turning up when I've taken time off are taking the proverbial. However, enough about that.
The gist of Plusnet's reply to my fault report was - we can't find anything wrong, your line is performing as expected, yada, yada, yada.
Now, since I was using a Fleabay purchased unlocked HG612 to get some stats, it was showing huge amounts of errors, interleaving and INP up pretty high, and I was never able to get anything other than a red BTW speedtest. Five weeks ago I put the supplied ECI modem back on. I've obviously not been able to get stats from this device, but the connection has been rock solid, presently showing an uptime of:
Online Time: 34 day(s) 04:55:28
Speed tests are also hitting off the top of the dial, just where my BT IP Profile is:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 52.45 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 42.96 Mbps-53.7 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 53.7 Mbps

My Plusnet Current Line Speed (53.6 Mb) is sitting at the correct level for that.
My line estimates are still showing as follows:
Featured Products       Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
                        High Low                  High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean)    80  69.3                  20  20                  --                    Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80  58.8                  20  17.7                --                    Available

TBB speedtest gives me this:

This one from a couple of days after installation:

So, to sum up:
a) I'm delighted with the connection up time
b) I'm happy with the speeds I am getting versus the profiles
c) I'm less than happy that I am perhaps not getting all my line is capable of delivering.
I'd like a GEA test to show me the present status of my line, and any indication when I can expect DLM to decide my line is stable enough to relax the restrictions it appears to have put on. When first installed it was connecting at the lower end of the "Clean" estimate.
I know that there is no option for Plusnet to remotely reset the line, but I live in hope that it will become a possibility before one of us dies (you know what I mean...)
5 REPLIES 5
hex
Grafter

Re: Any chance of a GEA test, please?

Just wondering if you are you using powerline adapters by any chance?
I had a similar situation using them where sync had decreased a bit and there was interleaving on the line but it was stable - there were however still high error counts and this meant DLM would not decrease interleaving or increase sync.
If you are using them try running without them for a while if possible to see if it makes a difference - my line started to recover after a few days and was back to normal after a few weeks.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

As it happens I am using power-line adaptors to connect my router to a Cyclone Nano Slim+ Smart Media Box. It's only in the next room, but the wall is 3 feet thick, so the wireless is patchy at best. I'm willing to give it a try though - it isn't a device I use a lot, and it's a different router to the last time I tried a wireless connection to it..
I'll wait to see the results of the GEA test if they do it, and take it from there.
JTaylor
Grafter

Hi Jaggies
I've tested this all for you and it seems I might have found the reason for this.
We're looking at a profile mismatch which I've subsequently raise to our Faults team for a full investigation.
They'll be looking to get back in touch as soon as possible.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, Jack - much appreciated.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Just to say this was rectified today and I'm now up to around 60Mbps download - highly chuffed!