cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any capacity issues?

CrystalJayme
Grafter

Re: Any capacity issues?

This is top service from Chris thanks again for your quick reply and I'm happy that we have a great customer service here.
jim:quote
CrystalJayme
Grafter

I am however worried about my speeds though. I am using wifi via my new homeplugs and I managed to get this speed 3:41am

But today got this speed at 3:50pm
AndyH
Grafter

You really need to test via wired to rule out any issues over WiFi.
Could someone else have been using the internet when you ran the test today?
CrystalJayme
Grafter

AndyH - No as I'm the only one with internet access lol
AndyH
Grafter

What about the test being wired or wireless?
I would run the test again to see what kind of result you get. Sometimes you can get strange looking results because a process on your PC/Mac is using a lot of memory/processing capacity.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Or there's another router in the area on a similar wireless channel that could cause issues.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

You could settle the argument for yourself using iperf test your wifi speeds from 1 device to another first.
Melancholie
Grafter

Worried about the potential for this thread to become a 'Me too'.
The issues I reported are verifiable, repeatable and easily observable. They are notable via the TBB BQM and tests via TBB, Namesco and BT Wholesale; they reoccur at peak times every evening to varying degrees, and issues are noted via both wired and wireless machines running different operating systems.
If there are issues that don't seem to conform to these it might be best for peeps to make new threads for their own issues as they may well not be the same.
CrystalJayme your issues are not the same - you do not have the really big difference between TBB 1x and 6x I see, no packet loss to speak of, no average or periodic increase at peak times, and it's impossible to prove your own home network out as you're using WiFii to connect to homeplugs to connect to your router - there's way too much there to go wrong before it touches the Openreach kit. There's potential for interference both on your own home power circuits, more appliances being used at that time, and across the airwaves on the WiFi.
If you're still seeing issues a new thread would probably be the best way forward to avoid ongoing issues getting lost in this one.
deathtrap
Grafter

Although a closer look at CrystalJayme's Ping monitor does show a very small amount of packet loss   during the peak time window,as well as a small difference in base latency, several of the ping monitors in the collection of ping monitors for plusnet customers are also showing packet loss and latency humps in varying amounts,  the packet loss since early last week has more or less disappeared on my connection, apart from a minor amount last night at around 10pm , so i think that the ping monitors are still showing the issue/s as there may be several  just in varying degrees, that's my opinion anyway
chrcoluk
Grafter

So far I have only seen loss on one day of tbb, but most nights I have seen peak time drops in speed's hence joining this thread.  Last night also was congested again.
Me and andyh know enough that obviously we testing on ethernet cables, and ruled out local equipment hence why we are also in this thread.
deathtrap
Grafter

Well tonight my thoughput is severely affected Even downloads 5 threads are only giving around 30mbps this is not good for fttc  and i'm seeing the low level packet loss again tonight will post my Ping monitor later
this started at around 8pm which corralates to a certain degree with the increase in Broadband bandwidth usage graphs http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml#totalTraffic
so maybe something related to plusnet ?? if this keeps on happening i may have to bite the zen bullet now that i'm out of contract
I have just looked at the ping monitors for plusnet customers and i don't like what i can see on some of them 
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: Melancholie
This. Friday isn't a busy day. Sunday and Monday will suck.

As anticipated.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 17.78 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 52.1 Mbps-65.12 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 65.12 Mbps
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
Well tonight my thoughput is severely affected Even downloads 5 threads are only giving around 30mbps this is not good for fttc  and i'm seeing the low level packet loss again tonight will post my Ping monitor later
this started at around 8pm which corralates to a certain degree with the increase in Broadband bandwidth usage graphs http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml#totalTraffic
so maybe something related to plusnet ?? if this keeps on happening i may have to bite the zen bullet now that i'm out of contract
I have just looked at the ping monitors for plusnet customers and i don't like what i can see on some of them 

The graphs are interesting.
Faraday appears to be flatlining as does colindale.maybe, but it isnt conclusive, doesnt look like a normal flatline, could just be how its panned out.
deathtrap
Grafter

Throughput has started to improve but isn't fully back to normal As the throughput is still not as consistent as it is normally, the usage graphs interestingly are showing the peak trailing off  at this time, could the two be in some way linked ? IMO yes they are
If this isn't a capacity issue peering or network then it must have something to do with something malfunctioning when the total traffic reaches a certain level or it's good old fashioned throttling
Melancholie
Grafter

Usage and the issues are definitely linked, however usage will be tailing off across all ISPs.
Simply Plusnet need to assure us that they are not the bottleneck here, then the onus goes onto BT Wholesale.
Openreach, the last link in the chain, are most definitely not the issue.
I'm pretty sure Plusnet's network is busy, that I've been moved around a bit recently implies it, however Plusnet manage their network and I'm seeing issues with traffic that should be a high priority so I'm not inclined to blame them.
I reckon BT Wholesale's SVLAN report is wrong, nothing more arcane than that.