Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any capacity issues?

fibreuser
Grafter

Re: Any capacity issues?

Definitely slowing down this evening already

Date speed problem started: ~ 3 weeks
Exchange Code (you can find this by searching for your exchange here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/): SSHWK
Speedtest results: 39.2Mbps single threaded
TBB Latency graph: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/62eb771d670b9c817e5e9bdc6d69695c.html
Does the problem affect any of the following:
Gaming - Y/N unknown
VoIP - Y/N unknown
Streaming - Y
Downloading files - Y
deathtrap
Grafter

@AndyH But some of us have been /are seeing packet loss at peak times .albeit low level packet loss, it's still packet loss and a normal free from these type of issues ping monitor wouldn't show these undesirable effects, service affecting or not,
Fibreusers, ping monitor is showing low level packet loss tonight as is at least one other plusnet customer according to the plusnet ping monitor collection, &i have seen similar on other nights during peak times ,I also notice some are seeing the jitter hump tonight as well IMO all isn't well on the good ship PN
I think that it is dependent on the endpoint  whether you see packet loss increased latency/jitter levels , and or reduced throughput  again this can only affect single threaded  or both single & multi threaded , and can and does also affect the upstream throughput as well sometimes, You assume that Plusnet (as in company) not the customer facing staff , really want to sort this out in the customers favour, But what if they really know the underlying cause,but are deliberately  not  doing anything about it,due to possible costs involved, in that it will be cheaper for them to haemorrhage  some customers  than spend on networking hardware ect ?
The what if  wasn't an insinuation,accusation nor did i imply  it, it was a straightforward question  nothing else
fibreuser
Grafter

Looking on my TBB graph there is very minor packet loss hardly visible. Really not sure what to do about this as soon to be out of contract and talktalk is looking like a good alternative (network wise not cs!)
AndyH
Grafter

@ deathtrap
If it was packet loss being caused on a specific host link (even a specific fibre within that host link), then it would be showing up for tens of thousands of users. I don't think this is the case or these forums would be full of people complaining. I believe the most common sources of packet loss are localised at the SVLANs/interconnects to the core network (these should be fixed routes though, so a PPP drop should not make any difference - if packet loss goes away, then it points to further upstream).
Something else you have to remember is that the ThinkBroadband site is peered via Linx with a 1Gb ports. It's not inconceivable that large numbers of people hammering the speed test at peak times might through up some erroneous results.
Plusnet are in a very competitive marketplace. If they were to badly manage their network, then people would leave. It's in their interests to resolve network issues and keep their customers happy. They also will be paying a lot of money for maintenance contracts with suppliers, who would be looking to resolve any issues they have.
@ fibreuser - You have 3 dropped packets this afternoon, which can be ignored. If it was constant, then it would be affecting things but this is nothing.
@ Plusnet staff/mods - I know Chris wanted this thread for information posting, so we can split off a discussion thread?
fibreuser
Grafter

Slowing down even more for single threaded.
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: fibreuser
Looking on my TBB graph there is very minor packet loss hardly visible.
That is the low level packet loss , my point being it should not be there no if's & but's or excuses
Tonight i have at this point in time 20:42 throughput  ds is normal upstream not 100% on speedtests , no packet loss on tbb ping monitor, but there is a 3-5ms varience in latency (Jitter) which on a perfect network should be less than this , so on this endpoint that i'm on it's just mainly the jitter  so far, As for what you  can do , hop gateways and keep hopping them until you eventually find a better endpoint that gives you normal throughput levels and no packet loss, is about all you can do  as in right now, as for migrating to tt , wouldn't be my choice, as in the retail side of it, but there is their wholesale via a smaller isp or their business options , ok they both will cost a bit more  but you will possibly have better cs and tech support and none of their dns interception, and filtering nonsense blocking part of the internet
AndyH
Grafter

@ deathtrap - You could buy a 10Gb/s leased circuit and still see 3-5ms variance in ping response times. No one can offer a jitter free connection.
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
@ deathtrap - You could buy a 10Gb/s leased circuit and still see 3-5ms variance in ping response times.
well i have had the experience Not via BTW  of exactly that  with ukonline  and even the cash starved Be there {uk only) So you see i and some others do know what a perfect or near perfect connection is about  certainly  peering /routing  ect,
deathtrap
Grafter

Looking like i spoke to soon  i too yet again am seeing [Censored] throughput both up and down (single threaded ) and a 10ms jump in latency Really sick of the bs now!! PIng 60MS and climbing!!!!
lo0.10.central10.ptn-bng01.plus.net (But not for much longer)
Gaming would be nothing more than a lag fest  
Streaming buffers  everything is broken   sick of being a guinea pig , and sick of the rhetoric its not our fault too
deathtrap
Grafter

Yet again following multiple attempts i found an endpoint (gateway is irrelevant) that the latency hadn't tripled and is able to provide better but again not perfect throughput  and yes i expect line speed 24/7 no throttling or slow downs due to lack of provision where ever that may lie
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
and yes i expect line speed 24/7 no throttling or slow downs due to lack of provision where ever that may lie

Yet you're with an ISP that charges some of the lowest prices on the market and is a pile high, sell cheap, mass market service.
Surely if you've been having issues for a year or more it's masochistic to stay with this ISP?
Sometimes quality simply costs more.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet sell the service as Unlimited where under normal circumstances a user gets line speed 24x7. Regular slow downs on Monday evenings mean that Plusnet is not providing the service as advertised. If the price point Plusnet are selling at means that line speed 24x7 is not possible they shouldn't advertise it as such. It doesn't matter whether the cause is an OpenReach, BT Wholesale or their own failing the contract is with Plusnet.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

But unlimited refers to the usage, not throughput. At the bottom of the fibre page, it states:
Fibre broadband speed is described as 'up to' because your actual download speeds will vary. We'll give you the best download speed available on your line up to 76Mb for Unlimited Fibre Extra and up to 38Mb on Unlimited Fibre, and upload speed up to 19.5Mb. This is dependent on your location, phone line, home wiring and time of day. We'll provide you with a speed estimate when you check availability of our products.

ISPs cannot offer speed guarantees for ADSL or FTTC because they are essentially a contended service. The only way someone can get guaranteed throughputs 24/7 is to be on a leased circuit.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

WRONG!
Linked from the FAQs on the main sales pages is http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_speeds.shtml
See attached for what it says!
The quote you've given is referring to the sync speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

What's wrong? It refers to download speeds, not sync speeds.
Any ISP should aim for line speed for their customers, but there are too many points of contention to be able to guarantee that.
It does state "these speeds are not guaranteed, and you may see lower if the network is busy. Under normal conditions and providing our network is performing well, we relax the rate limits on Fridays and Saturdays".
There is a very good reason ISPs (even top end ones) cannot offer guaranteed speeds. If they could, they clearly would do so.