cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any capacity issues?

deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Any capacity issues?

They they don't throttle our traffic, but "prioritize" it, but from what info they have published regarding this,it would be 24/7 not done just at peak times, so shouldn't be that, in theory at least, and Gateway hopping is no proper solution long term, some of the time not even a solution in the short term, with the different way some are routed when compared to others, as well as some of them offering a higher level of latency of as much as 6ms more and a slightly lower level of throughput
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
Guys how do you know which SVLAN you on and where can I check SVLAN status?  As Andy will claim he hasnt got inside info Smiley

You need one of the PN guys to tell you which SVLAN you're on. I don't think there's any other way of finding out.
As for the status, you need an ISP contact to either tell you whether it's green/blue/yellow/red.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@fp Have you spoken to other people on your exchange (including people using other ISPs) to ask if they are seeing slowdowns at peak times?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fp
Grafter

No - don't even know who they are.
However, I have noticed a second BT 'green' box where there used to be only one - fitted before xmas.
Melancholie
Grafter

You've just had a second fibre cabinet fitted next to your original one, or somewhere nearby has had one fitted?
fp
Grafter

Yes it is next to the one I assume I am connected to the 'end of the street', although not an identical shape - slightly taller.
No idea what it is or whether it is good or bad.
Melancholie
Grafter

Okay sounds like it's for something else in that case.
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Melancholie
Hi Andy,
Hunslet - SVLAN SFBB00005266
All are apparently green.

Thanks, interestingly not being picked up by BTW. Sometimes I've seen this though where you have a 'parent' SVLAN and that has capacity problems, even though your SVLAN is showing as fine.
I think mine is being picked up by BTW, just waiting on confirmation of which SVLAN I am on (also raised a ticket - 97181192).
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Quote from: chrcoluk
Guys how do you know which SVLAN you on and where can I check SVLAN status?  As Andy will claim he hasnt got inside info Smiley

You need one of the PN guys to tell you which SVLAN you're on. I don't think there's any other way of finding out.
As for the status, you need an ISP contact to either tell you whether it's green/blue/yellow/red.

ok thanks.
fp
Grafter

Quote from: Melancholie
Okay sounds like it's for something else in that case.
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/street_cabinets_etc.html

The new one is on the left.  (A BT engineer was working in the one on the right, hence the picture of the back side.).
Melancholie
Grafter

Looks like a fibre cabinet newly installed next to a copper cabinet, so I guess not yours given you've been on it a while.
Melancholie
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Thanks, interestingly not being picked up by BTW. Sometimes I've seen this though where you have a 'parent' SVLAN and that has capacity problems, even though your SVLAN is showing as fine.

Hiya,
Indeed. It's not impossible that capacity issues aren't with the SVLAN but with the Ethernet bearer it lives on, or deeper into the network right up to and including the BRAS.
It may also have been tipped over by Christmas and be amber in the next report Smiley
Melancholie
Grafter

A couple of things. The fault rate in this region is higher than expected, and also I noted this:
BT Wholesale – Network – Planned Engineering Work(PEW)Notification – PW247679 Standard – 27/01/2015 00:01 – Leeds Basinghall – software and hardware upgrade – (MID 19774894) – EU outage of up to 1 Hours
My connection goes via bras-red11.ls-bas - Redback 11, Leeds Basinghall.
deathtrap
Grafter

This if is upto date may shed some light on why we are seeing packet loss during peak times http://clueless.aa.net.uk/congestion.cgi
Melancholie
Grafter

Some minor issues still but it's calmed down.
I suspect it's load however the BT Wholesale systems haven't spotted it yet.
Either way the impact isn't too scary as of yesterday so will sit back and keep an eye on it.