Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any DD-WRT users on FTTC?

dannyboy75
Rising Star

Any DD-WRT users on FTTC?

Hi all,
I've just upgraded to FTTC after 41/2 long years of waiting for it to become available in the area we moved to in 2011. Very happy with the speed, which is generally around 36-38mbps.
However, I wanted to use my trusty Linksys 160NL router (running DD-WRT firmware) as the noddy Plusnet (Sagemcom) router is just awful - totally crippled in terms of features and configurability. Can't even change the admin password or IP range  Angry
When I connect the Linksys to the BT modem, it connects fine but I can't get more than 20-22mbps. As soon as I hook the Plusnet router back up, speed is back to normal. So I assume the Linksys is just not fully compatible with VDSL Sad .
Is anyone else happily using a DD-WRT router over a fibre connection? If so, could you let me know the model please as I'm struggling to find one...
Much appreciated Smiley
Danny
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Any DD-WRT users on FTTC?

Hi and welcome to the forum,
I've not used DD-WRT in anger myself but I do believe it has Qos functionality. I've seen similar throughput problems recently with another router where Qos was on,  disabling Qos fixed it.
OR not being familiar with the 160NL, if it's an old router it may just not have enough oomph to achieve the throughput.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dannyboy75
Rising Star

Thanks for the welcome and the reply Smiley
DD-WRT does indeed have QoS, but it's one feature I've never really bothered with (I mainly use it for its VPN server and Wake-on-WAN). I did double-check just to make sure QoS was disabled though (it was). Like you say, I guess this router just isn't up to the job unfortunately Sad
If anyone else is successfully using a DD-WRT router on fibre, any input is appreciated. Thanks Smiley
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: dannyboy75
Can't even change the admin password or IP range  Angry

Try again >>>> 192.168.1.254/expert_user.html
I use 2 routers with DD-WRT firmware as AP's, for the features of course Smiley

(Just a note to browsers, yoyo has just updated the list)
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Ha, thanks, will try that URL .
dick:quote
khile
Grafter

Hi i used DDWRT/Tomato on all routers i have a TP-Link WDR3600 connected to bt modem and that happily handles my connection fine, ive also used a Cisco E4200v1 and again that works great too i would highly recommend these routers and there reasonably priced
GeordieMark
Grafter

I'm using a WDR4900 with DD-WRT and it works perfectly, they seem to be discontinued now though, although Amazon have one for £5000, if you're that desperate Cheesy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WDR4900-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00ATB28SM
dannyboy75
Rising Star

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Having sat down and thought about this properly, I guess there's no such thing as a cable (i.e. Ethernet WAN port) router specfically for VDSL connections.
So presumably any newish, decent router should do the job really (and DD-WRT compatible of course). With that in mind, before I'd seen your replies I took a punt on an Asus RT-N66U, from Amazon, which should arrive tomorrow. But if it's no better, then it's good to know that I have a couple of other possibilities (even if one of them costs five grand  Wink )