Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another one not happy about the cut in upload to 2Mbps

FIXED
DrSeeAll
Grafter

Another one not happy about the cut in upload to 2Mbps

I've been with Plusnet for more years than I care to remember and on fibre for over four years.

I renewed my contract (Fibre Unlimited) last month.  Yesterday I received an email saying my upload speed had been reduced to 2mbps.

Today I rang support and was told this was Open Reach directive and had been applied to ALL customers of ALL broadband suppliers.  This appears to be a blatant lie?

Furthermore this appears to be a one sided change to my contract without prior notification.

Reading up about this, it looks like it is a cost cutting exercise by PN and theoretically should only be applied to NEW customers or those moving house.  I'm in neither of those categories.

I do not need or want Fibre Extra.  I just want the product I originally signed up for, or if that is not possible, a reduction in my charge to reflect the major downgrade in service.

Can any one advise how I can go about that, please.

Thank you

DrSeeAll

28 REPLIES 28
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Another one not happy about the cut in upload to 2Mbps

@DrSeeAll wrote:

Today I rang support and was told this was Open Reach directive and had been applied to ALL customers of ALL broadband suppliers.  This appears to be a blatant lie?

Unfortunately that is not correct. I'll pass feedback on to their manager.

@DrSeeAll wrote:
or if that is not possible, a reduction in my charge to reflect the major downgrade in service.

Unfortunately we wouldn't discount the already discounted rate for the product we currently sell.

@DrSeeAll wrote:
I just want the product I originally signed up for

I don't believe the speed should have changed when renewing your contract, therefore I will make sure you're put back on 55/10 provisioned speeds.

The order should complete tomorrow. I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
DrSeeAll
Grafter

Thank you very much.

I trust that will resolve the issue.

However, I'm disappointed I had to make a post on the public forum about it, when telephone support should have dealt with the problem more appropriately in the first place.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

@DrSeeAll wrote:

However, I'm disappointed I had to make a post on the public forum about it, when telephone support should have dealt with the problem more appropriately in the first place.

I agree and share the disappointment. I'm sorry it had to come to this, but I can assure you I have provided the appropriate feedback to the advisors manager and this should be resolved now (Or at least when the order completes tomorrow)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
kopo

I also have the same problem .Phone them yesterday been told l was always on 40/2 😱,but my last contract signed 2 years ago was 40/20.Still stuck on 2mbps up at the moment.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Welcome to the community forums @kopo

From what I can see, you should be on 55/10, not the 40/2 you're actually on.

Leave it with me and I'll sort it out.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The order I placed on Friday has completed, so I'm hoping this matter has now been resolved @kopo

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
JonnyFu
Grafter

@HarryB Me too just done a speed test this morning to find my upload speed is capped at 2mbit. I was on 40/20 then got the email a couple of months back about being moved to 55/10 which I was.

i now appear to have been incorrectly moved to I assume 40/2.

please can this be corrected?

Thanks

JonnyFu
Grafter

@HarryB I have spoken to support who were very helpful and they have put an order into BT to get it changed back to 55/10. 

He said this was the result of random line checks by BT who decicided I should be on 40/2!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@JonnyFu wrote:

He said this was the result of random line checks by BT who decicided I should be on 40/2!

I'm not confident with that answer to be honest.

Looking at your account, your connection is already provisioned on 55/10.

I'm just discussing this with a colleague now.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@JonnyFu - Would you mind running a wired speed test here: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

After the initial test completes, could you continue on to further diagnostics, as this will store the results on our suppliers systems so we can investigate further.

Thanks.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
JonnyFu
Grafter

@HarryB Just run the BTWholesale test download 39.08 max achievable 40.2 upload 1.4 max achievable 10

seems odd when I was on 40/20 I would get around 16Mbits upload then on 55/10 around 9Mbits

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@JonnyFu Thanks. Could you raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net please. We can't see anything on our side that should be causing the low upload speeds, it all seems to be set/provisioned correctly.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
JonnyFu
Grafter

@HarryB I have just done another test on BTWholesale and it's now back at 8Mbit upload from the 1.4Mbit I got earlier, although interestingly running on Speedtest.net with the default Ask4 server in Sheffield the upload is repeatedly limited to 1.8Mbit, if I change to Structured Communications in London it's 8.5Mbit

I will monitor for a day before raising a fault if required.

thank you for your help with this Harry

mw25
Hooked
Fixes: 1

I am another long-standing customer very unhappy about the cut to upload speed. It seems I’m in the same situation as others on this thread.

I’ve been with Plusnet for quite a few years, on fibre for the last 4 years, and recently renewed my Unlimited Fibre contract, effective from 22 October. I was advised my broadband service would be the same as before.

On 21 October I got an email stating that “the order we placed to change your upload speed has completed. Your upload speed is now 2 Mbit/s.”

When I renewed by phone, there was no mention of any change to upload speed, and there’s nothing about it in the confirmation email I received. The only time I’ve seen upload speed mentioned was in an email dated 30 June (headed “Important information about your Plusnet service”) saying that download speed would increase from up to 38Mb to up to 52Mb, and that upload speed would change from up to 19Mb to up to 9.4Mb, on 1 August. In fact, my download speed didn’t change (remained around 38 Mb) but my upload did drop to 7-8.

I phoned Plusnet yesterday to try and resolve this issue, was transferred around, spoke to 3 different people & departments and didn’t get any satisfaction.

I don’t want or need Fibre Extra (my line can nowhere near support that download speed anyway). I just want a realistic upload speed that I was expecting. Over the last 48 hours my upload speed has been in the range 1.7 to 1.8.

Please can someone in Plusnet sort this out? Thank you.