cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another in the line of fibre speed drop and disconnection issues

Phatjayunoi
Dabbler

Another in the line of fibre speed drop and disconnection issues

Seems like alot of people have been having troubles with their fibre speed dropping and disconnection issues and looks like I'm in the same boat as well, though really it's been going on since the start.

I've had fibre (80/20 package) since May and it has been a very hit and miss service throughout this entire duration. Not only was there delayed phone package transfer issues at the start (From BT phone), initial sync speeds was also 50Mbs. DSLchecker specifies that my line for the Impacted range is 44.4 to 78.7 low/high, so that's kind of to be expected I guess.

Since then as the months go by, a gradual drop to the 40's especially during the major gateway/DNS problematic months, and then around last week, it's now down to the mid-30's. The Plusnet speed estimate page and the BT Wholesale test shows my IP Profile is around 36Mbs.

Even back on the Plsunet ADSL service (From 2003 to this May) bar a couple of minor issues, at least I was happy for the most part. Since coming to fiber, it's just been appalling and incredibly frustrating of a service.

If I could turn back time, I probably should've just went with BT Infinity. All the initial impressions of a slightly cheaper price with Plusnet fiber/phone is now a complete farce in hindsight when you also had line rental prices increasing, making the costs barely any different. And seeing what this service and all the problems it has, what a mistake!

9 REPLIES 9
Phatjayunoi
Dabbler

Re: Another in the line of fibre speed drop and disconnection issues

Not long after I made the post, I had a couple of disconnections again, and I will let the uploaded screenshot tell the picture of the sync speeds now. Just .... wow.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your connection, I understand the frustration however I can't see we've ever been asked to look at your line previously.

Testing your line is showing a fault

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1624
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises. Please continue to submit a trouble report.
Main Fault Location CA
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y

And your estimates are:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 70.1 20 20 -- Available -- --

Can you confirm that your modem/router is connected to the master socket, not an extension socket. Is there any noise on the phone line if you dial 17070 and run the quiet line test?

If you're in the master socket and the line is clear, please report a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Phatjayunoi
Dabbler

After bit of research and looking around, this might explain all the troubles our house has had with the internet and I am amazed it's gone on for this long and we coped with it.

We don't have a master socket? Not one that conforms to modern standards. The router is connected to what I believe is a LJU2? socket right next what looks to be a GPO 52A box? That LJU box has been used for the router and internet since, forever. All other extension boxes that I can see around the house are the same LJU style as well, which we only use one for the home phone.

The house is from before the 1950's at least so that would explain the old telephone wiring and any issues that we have had.

I take it an engineer visit will be likely and whatever silly costs that might be associated with a fix or update?

Chris
Legend

It is very likely an engineer visit will be needed, however based on what you're saying the wiring up to the socket is old and doesn't actually have a test socket so *shouldn't* be charged but I wouldn't want to guarantee that.

Can you report the fault at the link I've provided and give us a nudge in here when you've done so.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Phatjayunoi
Dabbler

Just done the fault troubleshooter. Wink

Chris
Legend

It's already finished the automated testing and is requesting an engineer visit, I've updated the ticket. If you can reply on there with your availability I'll get this booked in and confirmed to you.

Phatjayunoi
Dabbler

Engineer arrived on Monday and completed the job on Tuesday. Great work he was doing considering some of the bad weather conditions and our old wiring he had to put up with, but was very determined to get it done. Thumbs_Up

Any ways, router sync speeds are showing that I should be at the full speeds now which looks great. Unfortunately speed tests are showing I'm still stuck around 36Mb actual. BT Wholesale test is showing the IP Profile at 77Mb, the highest it ever has been on my line!  Shocked

My fault ticket is still up and open and waiting on support reply. But I just wanted to give an update on there and here as well. Wink

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

There's another profile which you can check here.

If that is showing less than the IP profile it may require Plusnet to give it a nudge in the right direction.

Phatjayunoi
Dabbler

Yeah it's same as the BT test one, so just waiting on the fault/support ticket to finish up.