cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another disgruntled customer.

Necroscope445
Dabbler

Another disgruntled customer.

First of all have been with plusnet a number of years, always been helpful and prompt with queries etc. I live in the countryside and as such got download speeds of 2.5/3Mb on ADSL, so when I saw that our exchange was going to go fibre I was excited to say the least, figures of 13Mb being touted!!! So I got in touch with cust service and was given a speed of 9Mb, well you have to be realistic I suppose. Everything went smoothly, engineers called set up modem etc etc. And I switched on to ...... 3.5Mb.
Yep I was sooo happy, did the fault finding stuff, followed procedure, engineer calls to check equipment all good, "its the distance you are from the exchange" he tells me, this is as good as you'll get. Back on the phone to plusnet, customer services > technical>customer services+(whatever the term is) To be told;
I must wait for ten days(didn't think this applied to fibre from what I have read on this forum), I mustn't stress over the speed tests, I could expect wild fluctuations, (.4Mb from all the tests I've done) Plusnet have spent hundreds getting fibre too me and lastly at least I have a nice view out of my window!!!!
I know I was offered £1.50 off my bill, which is high anyway being area1 or I could go back too ADSL, that is not really the point (although it feels like Hobson's choice).
When I took out the service I was told the estimates given were pretty accurate, and I had no way of knowing otherwise, (all the checks I have done since all showed a similar figure) I just feel let down, frustrated and really p****d off at the comments I got, and the "well that's what you get for living in the countryside attitude." Sorry for the rant I had to get this off my chest, it might seem small beer to some, but I had to vent my spleen!!
11 REPLIES 11
shure
Grafter

Re: Another disgruntled customer.

10 days wait is misinformation.  This has been mentioned so many times that I'm surprised someone at PN hasn't finally sorted out some proper training in this area.
edit: nicked the following from Terranova667 in a similar thread:
Quote from: Terranova667
Ok go here     http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/    and run the speed test ignore the red writing,  when it's done pick further diagnostic and post the results
also go here  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed      login and see what the current line speed is set to again post the results
we will be able to see if they are set correctly

Necroscope445
Dabbler

Results as you suggested.
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download Speed
3.24 Mbps

0 Mbps 4.36 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.24 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 3.05 Mbps-4.36 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 4.36 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.06 Mbps

0 Mbps 2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.06Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps

Phone exchange:
SOUTHREPPS
Estimated line speed:
9Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-10-07 13:00:32
Current line speed:
3.3Mb
They look like the results I have been getting since it was set up.
Necroscope445
Dabbler

Addendum to the last post, this section is new,
0 Mbps  4.36 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.24 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 3.05 Mbps-4.36 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 4.36 Mbps
when I last ran the BTW checker this information was not available.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Necroscope445
Dabbler

Couldnt copy the BT page probably me being derpy. However the same metrics were on a ticket I raised so I guess you can make head or tails.
Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 15.5 9.2 1.2 0.8 -- Available
Necroscope445
Dabbler

Mysteriously after being stable at 3.2Gb since install, another 1Gb  seems to have appeared since beginning this thread any explanations for this anybody?
Necroscope445
Dabbler

Phone exchange:
SOUTHREPPS
Estimated line speed:
9Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-10-07 13:00:32
Current line speed:
4.3 Mb
Oldjim
Resting Legend

what does it say about impacted speeds
Necroscope445
Dabbler

The impacted line speeds were
11.2-3.8 
These haven't been bought up by anyone though, the engineer who came round this morning, thought the line was clean from what I told him the ADSL figure were previously.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Unfortunately the usual response of Openreach is that there isn't a problem they can fix
In my case I am in the impacted range due to lead sheathed cable to my local DP (Distribution Point) from the cab
Notwithstanding the above you and Plusnet should persevere and try to get it sorted. One thing which may be possible is trying a different pair from the cab to the DP
Necroscope445
Dabbler

Thanks for the info OldJim. Smiley
Tbh as soon as I told the tech team that the BT engineer said its as good as you'll get, they kinda dropped the ball pretty quickly, I'm no expert on any of these matters and I do rely on people giving me fair an honest advice and hope they are doing what's best for me as a customer, I was never told about swapping lines, in fact I was given no other alternatives, it shouldn't be like this, it really shouldn't. I'm not asking for the earth, just an honest assessment of what is truly available after ALL options have been explored. It is difficult to ask for something if you don't know that something exists! I thank you for giving me some input into the situation, and will approach PN again with this idea, and... anything else they can think of.
PN I hope you read this and comment!