Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another TG582 vs NAS thread ...

kdl
Dabbler

Another TG582 vs NAS thread ...

Hi all.
My FTTC install today has gone well so far WRT WAN access, but I'm having problems with getting my NAS working on my LAN. I've read lots of threads regarding setting up the port forwarding for WAN access, but I don't want to do that - I can't get it to work on the LAN.
Router: Technicolor TG582n (Plusnet supplied)
FW: 10.2.5.2
NAS: Synology DS214Play
OS: Latest (5.1? can't remember off the top of my head).
Setup: The NAS is directly connected to the router with cat5e. I have not done anything to the router configuration so far other than to change the SSID and wireless p/w.
What works: The NAS is assigned an IP address via DHCP. The router's network topology view shows that something called 'NAS' is connected with the correct MAC address. Using a linux PC with a "clean" /etc/hosts, "ping nas" will resolve to the correct IP address and start sending packets.
What fails: No response to "ping" (all requests time out). Attempting to connect to the NAS using its web interface (http://nas:5000/) looks up the host but times out waiting for a response. This is true whether the PC is connected wirelessly to the router or wired (via powerline adaptors or directly to another port on the router).
Other observations: While the LAN light on the NAS flashes occasionally when it's running, once it has gone into hibernation mode, attempting to connect to it does not wake it as it should.
Troubleshooting: I have repeated all steps using the same cabling etc but replacing the router with my old Netgear DG834 and it all works as expected (but no WAN access, obviously).
It seems to me that there's some sort of internal firewall or routing config that's causing the touter to not forward packets to the NAS. The router's firewall setting is set to "standard", but that only applies to the WAN doesn't it? I presume I don't have to configure "Applications or Games" for the LAN.
Does anyone have any ideas? What can I do to try to diagnose this further (using the Netgear router to see what the NAS is doing if necessary)?
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Another TG582 vs NAS thread ...

The old netgear subnet was probably 192.168.0.255 with the router 192.168.0.1
The plusnet router uses the subnet 192.168.1.255, with the router being 192.168.1.254
You need to login to the router and navigate to the home network page to find out what the new ip address is for the nas.
Ian
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I suspect you are trying to log in to your nas with the old ip address from the old router, you need to log into the new router to get the new ip of the nas, and then try again,
unless the nas has a fixed ip of course. 
gswindale
Grafter

What happens if you visit:
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5000 where the xxx are replaced by the IP address of the NAS?
When I switched over from a Netgear router (ADSL) to the Technicolor (Fibre); my main PC and NAS (DS214SE) were originally set to static IP addresses.  They were both therefore unable to see the new router (as the subnets were different); but were able to see each other (I have a switch under my desk for these 2 away from the router).  I was therefore able to change the NAS IP address so that it was on the correct subnet and with the correct DNS server.  I suspect that something on the NAS is not configured correctly - take a look at the Network settings on the Diskstation's control panel whilst connected via the netgear and see if there is anything that points specifically to the IP range for the Netgear router.
kdl
Dabbler

SOLVED (in case anyone else comes here having searched for the same thing).
Thanks for the replies, gents.
@ian, @den1 I should have been more clear. When I said that the ping had "resolved to the correct address" I meant the NAS's new address on the 192.168.1.x subnet. So it wasn't that, but yes, always worth double checking ;).
Quote from: geofftswin
What happens if you visit:
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5000 where the xxx are replaced by the IP address of the NAS?

Hi Geoff. Yes, I was doing that as well as the "http://nas:5000" version and both were timing out.
Quote from: geofftswin
I suspect that something on the NAS is not configured correctly - take a look at the Network settings on the Diskstation's control panel whilst connected via the netgear and see if there is anything that points specifically to the IP range for the Netgear router.

Yep, you got it. I have no recollection of doing it, but the NAS's /firewall/ was set to only allow access (to any port at all) from a block of addresses in the old 192.168.0.x LAN range which the old router was configured to assign to specific MAC addresses. I have no intention of making my NAS accessible to the outside world so I can only assume I did that out of paranoia at some point in case I inadvertentlly misconfigured the router (to make it slightly harder to get into the NAS even if access to the network was gained). That may well be flawed thinking anyway ...
So I was right that it was some sort of firewall config that was causing it, but I was a bit too quick to blame the new router Smiley
Thanks again for the replies everyone.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If someone has access to your home lan, they probably have physical access to the nas anyway. I don't bother firewalling internally, my ONLY firewall is the router one.
I had a similar issue with Kodi & nfs shares. I had to open the share up to allow Kodi access, what this resulted in was my other pc's creating files owned by nobody. Another change to allow everybody BUT Kodi normal access and the Kodi box open access.
(The problem was Kodi could see the shares but not the contents.)