cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Static IP Profile Problem? DL speeds went from 80Mbps to 35Mbps and connection is unstable.

FIXED
sjpt4x
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Another Static IP Profile Problem? DL speeds went from 80Mbps to 35Mbps and connection is unstable.

Hi everyone,

After a big hoo hah and delay with my fibre broadband service being installed, I finally got online on the 11th Feb. Speeds, Latency and Uptime were great...for a week. Within this first week I requested a Static IP to be added to my line.

On the 17th Feb my Sync and Actual speeds went from 79999/19999 now down to around 34000/14000 with a huge increase in latency and instability. On Friday/Saturday my line would barely stay up for 15 minutes before resynchronisation.

My line went from this (14th/16th):

https://i.ibb.co/0JY9pdF/bbmonitor-14-02-2021.png  https://i.ibb.co/SvPFrcq/bbmonitor-16-02-2021.png 

to this (18th/19th/21st):

https://i.ibb.co/BjpGBBD/bbmonitor-18-02-2021.png  https://i.ibb.co/8Yyh6J8/bbmonitor-19-02-2021.png  https://i.ibb.co/2tZdvgg/bbmonitor-21-02-2021.png 

I have already raised a fault (twice actually) but have yet to be contacted. I raised the first fault on the 18th Feb.

I have been looking around the forums and have noticed numerous references to the wrong profile being applied to Static IP users. Could this be what has happened on my account? If so, could somebody please just apply the old profile again. That was perfect!

Any help would be greatly appreciated right now.

Kind regards,

S

10 REPLIES 10
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Another Static IP Profile Problem? DL speeds went from 80Mbps to 35Mbps and connection is unstab

@sjpt4x  If your sync speed has gone down from 80Mbps to 34Mbps and the line is now unstable it is not a Static IP profile problem, that just restricts throughput when the BT IP profile is at the correct speed.

Looks like you have line fault, can you check that the phone line is working and quiet.

sjpt4x
Hooked

Re: Another Static IP Profile Problem? DL speeds went from 80Mbps to 35Mbps and connection is unstab

Hi RealAleMadrid,

I have not owned a landline phone in years so I cannot test the phoneline is quiet.

What I can tell you though is that I had an engineer out as part of the install, who installed a brand new master socket into the property. The next day there was a fault detected in my cabinet, which was promptly fixed by another engineer, which made the line fault free, brought my line up which was then stable for a week.

What are the odds that there is yet another fault after a week? Could it be the same fault?

Thanks,

S

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Could be the same fault, or could be a completely different one, however it surprises me that a lot of people don't have a landline telephone handset as it can be a useful tool in diagnosing problems. 

Are Plusnet doing anything, have they responded to the faults you raised?

sjpt4x
Hooked

I have just spoken to Plusnet again, apparently a manager will be calling me back today since the faults team are yet to be in touch with any update on the situation.

I regards to landline handsets, I think in the age of mobile phones, most people just dont bother to buy one in the first place, or replace a broken one anymore, especially if you are in the rental sector. There are only so many tools you can keep and this would be one of the ones that see very little use, sitting in the cupboard for years on end.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Yet you spent all that time producing graphs and reporting faults, when a simple £5 device could have told you if you have a noisy line days ago. Or you could borrow one from a neighbour.

sjpt4x
Hooked

Except that these graphs are generated automatically and provide useful statistics, and I already have the equipment to view them as most people do.

A noisy line is only one piece of the puzzle, it wont solve a fault just knowing this. If I knew I had a noisy line days ago, then what? I reported the fault immediatly, and I haven't a response yet. The position I am in now would be unchanged.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Any help would be greatly appreciated right now.

I guess you did not really mean that.

sjpt4x
Hooked

I did mean it, but it seems you are unable to help with the issue I am having, being instead fixated on the fact that not everybody in 2021 owns a landline phone.

Your tone is certainly not helpful either, and I will certainly be reluctant in heading to this community for any help ion the future due to it.

@RealAleMadrid has been much more helpful and accomodating so far, whilst it seems you have come here only to add to your post count and berate users.

sjpt4x
Hooked

UPDATE:

OK so my line speeds are back up to normal, synced up at the max 79999/19000 and the line seems to have stabilised. Latency is also back down to pre-fault levels.

The problem I have now is that actual download speeds now seem to be capped. I cannot seem to get any higher than around 60Mbps. I have just logged into my Plusnet dashboard and it shows:

Current Line Speed (Download): 59Mbps

Could this be why it seems I am rate limited?

Thanks!

S

sjpt4x
Hooked

Fix

FINAL UPDATE:

The fault has now been fixed. Please close this thread.