Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Speed Drop? Human intervention?

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Can you check my connection please PlusNet? I experienced a slow down (up and down speeds) whilst we were out earlier this week, that seems to have remained slower. Until this morning BTW Performance Test showed a Red Line, but is currently just into the Green on my connection.
Has there been any BTO/BTW work in my area this week that might have a bearing?
Thanks, Dan
25 REPLIES 25
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Just carried out speed test to see if a return to Monday morning speed may have occurred overnight, but it hadn't (unsurprisingly), so came onto this site but couldn't log on oddly, then saw that broadband had dropped out (at the cabinet or exchange). When it came back on, a minute or two later, the speed seems to have dropped further, about 1.5Mbps Up and Down.
I'm sure that someone or something external intervened and has (by accident or design) reduced a speed that fell away somewhat during Monday. I have lost over 10% Down, and over 15% Up since then, plus today's if that speed doesn't return once stabilised. I don't see how this is supposed to be an acceptable service to customers. Angry
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Another Speed Drop? Human intervention?

Did you have access to your modem stats? If so, can you post them?
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

No I don't sadly, I am using the Huawei supplied by BTO and despite trying to get stats have not been able to. I'm reluctant to return to the ASUS built in modem, which provides them, as I don't feel that it is compatible with my cabinet, nor (despite all kinds of user adjustments) can it be configured to be cabinet friendly.
AndyH
Grafter

Without the stats, you really need Plusnet to do a line check again.
Have you tried rebooting your Openreach modem?
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks AndyH. Haven't tried rebooting, will do now. Asked for a line check yesterday but no show, I guess busy with all the grumblers like me! ^-)
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Rebooted the Modem this morning, no change, and no change with another test just now. Struggling to understand how my speed dropped 5Mbps down on Monday whilst I was out, and 2.5Mbps Up, having had stable speeds for weeks. Then no sign of improvement, one imagines that it has been slowed down, someone "turned the tap down" bur WHY would they? Damned annoying.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Re: Can you Check my connection please Plusnet?

Any chance that you can check my line Please?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mod Note
Topics merged.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Another red line this morning on Down speed, if anything perhaps slightly slower, and definitely 5Mbps slower than last Monday.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi,
I've had a look back over the account and you're not going to see much more than those speeds really. You're on the lower of the 2 Fibre products, so will only get a maximum of 40Mbps (minus overheads) and the speeds you're seeing now are slightly above your estimate.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Chris, now't to gained returning to Extra, I'm thinking?
Estragon
Rising Star

From your BT speed test, Dan, you appear to be connected at about 47Mbps, (calculating back from your IP Profile), so if you upgraded to Extra that's all you would get, and no change to IP Profile.
I see the upstream is back to 10Mbps up, not the 2.5Mbps you reported previously :).
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Estragon, if I read this right, I'd be connected at 47Mbps, which is about where I used to be when initially connected, as my distance from the Cabinet is roughly 800 metres (by cable length, not crow flight). I'd probably be as well off on the lesser service (40/20) but the 40Mbps I've been connected at has dropped to 35.5Mbps since last Monday, and gave a rock solid 40Mbps up until then for a month or more. Why the drop? will it drop again? if so, connected at 47Mbps is meaningless isn't it, either at 40/20 or 80/20?
I have been connected at 10Mbps Up for some time, but until a week ago (Last Monday's speed drop), I was on nearly 13Mbps, I lost at least 2.5Mbps, and may not have been clear about that, sorry. Could it be that another line has been connected and crosstalk has reduced the speed? One new connection could be the human intervention I refer to. A sudden speed drop, yet IP profile sitting unmoved doesn't seem like equipment, more like a deliberate change (not to slow me, just human intervention that affects how I'm connected).
I'm no broadband expert, but in say an industrial panel where a spurious signal caused problems, one would look to re-route, shield, or use different technology if it was causing faults. I find it hard to grasp this idea that VDSL2 Broadband cannot be delivered consistently and varies due to a number of unknown or varying factors. It has all the look of something experimental and not a science.
Estragon
Rising Star

(Incidentally I misread your 25/07/2015 20:40 post as the upstream having dropped to 2.5MBps, not by 2.5Mbps. Sorry).
Did you get a retention deal or similar recently?
Chris said you are on the lower of the two fibre products. That implies 40/2, but that latest BT speed test suggests 40/20 or 80/20. From "Thanks Chris, now't to gained returning to Extra, I'm thinking?" I assumed you used to be on 80/20.
What does this checker say for the A and B FTTC lines when you put your phone number in?
My questions are because if you got a retention deal it's possible you were accidentally or deliberately dropped onto the 40/2 then regarded to 40/20, the old lower product. What product do you think you are on?
What does your Current line speed say in your member Centre? Link in my sig.