Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another New Fibre Customer - a few questions

ricke17
Grafter

Another New Fibre Customer - a few questions

Hey,
So my contract with BT was up yesterday and have been doing my research and decided to migrate to plusnet.
My immediate impression was the very good customer service I have experienced both on twitter and on live chat on the main site.
Fortunately I fished out my openreach modem and have that ready for activation day - just need to wait for the MAC code from BT now!
My main reason for switching was the ability to have a static IP (albeit for a £5 one off charge - happy to pay) - BT told me if I wanted one I had to upgrade to BT business - er, no thanks!
I just still have a few questions:
- When will my plus net email become live - I had several emails from PN welcoming me etc to this new email (accessed via the webmail portal site) and have tried sending test emails to my other email account but experiencing errors within the PN webmail.
- PN Pro vs regular Fibre ---> what's the difference?
- Traffic Management - I have looked at the various websites that PN have pointed me to before but am still confused; am I less likely to be affected by this if I upgrade to PN Pro?
Cheers,
Rick.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Another New Fibre Customer - a few questions

Hi there!
- When will my plus net email become live - I had several emails from PN welcoming me etc to this new email (accessed via the webmail portal site) and have tried sending test emails to my other email account but experiencing errors within the PN webmail.

This should be available via webmail once your account has had the order placed. This triggers the account to move into a different status on our systems. I don't believe that you'll be able to send emails via an email client (Outlook, Thunderbird etc) until you are active though (I could be wrong on that one) but you can send via webmail as soon as your email works.
- PN Pro vs regular Fibre ---> what's the difference?

- Traffic Management - I have looked at the various websites that PN have pointed me to before but am still confused; am I less likely to be affected by this if I upgrade to PN Pro?

I'll address both of these together.
Basically you shouldn't notice the traffic management, it's there to prioritise traffic, not to throttle or rate limit. The idea behind it is that services that need a real-time connection get priority, those that can wait a bit longer are lower in priority.
So a very simple example (and yes, the numbers are just made up and I'm ignoring overheads etc):
Imagine a linespeed of 50Mb/s.
The only activity on your connection is downloading something via a torrent or USENET. This will use all of your line speed, so 50Mb/s.
You then start streaming a HD film at 10Mb/s. Your download will drop in speed to around 40Mb/s so there is enough available speed for the stream.
On top of the streaming, you then start gaming at 5Mb/s. The steam is unaffected, the download should drop to 35Mb/s to allow enough speed for both the game and the stream.
All of that is without the Pro add-on. If you add Pro it throws all your traffic in to the same 2 priorities, and when everything is prioritised, nothing is really!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ricke17
Grafter

Ah!  Makes sense re Pro vs regular fibre - the email is still having errors though as I have tried to send test emails via the webmail and it comes from my username (what I log into the member centre with) and not the email address I set up originally.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you log in to webmail, go to 'Personal Settings' you can change the 'from' address the emails come from.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ricke17
Grafter

OK I will try that - is there an option to auto-forward emails to another address?
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

No I don't believe so but you can collect them using an email client of your choice  Smiley
Edit/ http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ricke17
Grafter

Quote from: PeterLoftus
No I don't believe so but you can collect them using an email client of your choice  Smiley

Yes, I managed to set this up  Smiley