Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android TV Box

OldFrank
Grafter

Android TV Box

Hello.
I have the Technicolor TG 582n router, firmware version 8.C.M.O. I have quite a few wireless devices which connect to it no problem at all. I have recently bought a Android TV Box for streaming films and sport to my TV set. The android box cant connect over wifi, it is OK on an ethernet cable and also TP wireless Link with the ethernet cable into the android box from the TP wireless unit. Tech support say they are unable to help me. Would a firmware upgrade solve this problem?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thank's in advance.
25 REPLIES 25
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Android TV Box

Does the Android TV box give any error messages when you try to connect wirelessly?
You can update your firmware from here - http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ It might help, but make sure you pick the correct firmware.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What wireless channel are you using?  If 12 or 13 then try 1, 6 or 11 - Some devices don't work on 12 & 13 as US wifi only covers 1-11
OldFrank
Grafter

Hello.
Thanks for the advice, I need the flashing utility for my Technicolor TG 582n.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

You can use the ones listed in the downloads on this page for your TG582n:
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
Note: Only available for Windows machines.
That's RPM to you!!
OldFrank
Grafter

Hello.
I have looked at the flashing utilities but i am unsure which one to use, i do not want to brick my router.
Many thanks
pwatson
Rising Star

Have you looked at wireless channel yet? Smiley  Which box did you get so we can look at the manual?
OldFrank
Grafter

Hello.
In reply to your questions, I have tried all the wireless channels-No connection. The Android TV box is what it is called, I have seen my box connected to a different wireless network in the shop where I bought it.
So therefore it must be the router. I will just have to use the TP link connection.
Many thanks.
pwatson
Rising Star

It would help if you could provide a link showing the device you have - Searching for 'The Android TV Box' brings up lots of different results  Wink
pwatson
Rising Star

Is it something like this?  Does your network show up in the list of available networks?  Remember that we can't see your screen...  Smiley
OldFrank
Grafter

Hello.
Yes it is like the box you showed, and yes my plusnet wireless router is in the list of connections. It also shows five bars on the signal. The box is in line of sight to the router, distance about 12 to 14 feet.
I have noticed that other plusnet customers are having trouble with other wireless devices, printers and streaming devices. So it must be the ROUTER.
Many thanks
gofaster
Rising Star

Your analysis doesn't make sense.
The router works fine with all your other wireless devices, nothing has changed on the router, the only new item is the android box which doesn't connect.
To my mind this points to an issue with the android box.
To help us understand the problem, could you describe exactly how you try to connect the android box via wifi and exactly how it responds and what messages(if any) are shown.
OldFrank
Grafter

Hello.
I spoke to some one at plusnet today and they said it was because I am on a limited download package. So I am upgrading my package and I will get a new router, this should solve the problem.
Many thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

and they said it was because I am on a limited download package
Absolute rubbish!
A new router MAY solve your problem, since it will have the latest firmware but it's nothing to do with your package.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

OldFrank
Grafter

Hello to MisterW.
Are you suggesting that PlusNet staff might say any thing to keep a customer happy ;).
Many thanks