cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And then it went sloooooowww

gromit69
Grafter

And then it went sloooooowww

OK, not silly slow, but much slower than it should be.

I'm on an 80/20 line and my connection speed is just under 70 (used to be about 78, but I can cope with that). Through put was in the 60+ Mbps and I was pretty happy.

But over the past few days this has really dropped. A speed test over on Thinkbroadband has just given me 2Mbps for a single thread download. a few other tests have given me anything between 4Mbps and 40Mbps. The Ookla test linked to by Plusnet reported 17 down and 11 up.
I'm using an ASUS RT-RC87U with an Echolife modem, both of which are rock solid.
I'm also seeing high pings and ping drops, but I guess thats part of the same issue.

Everything's had a reboot, but I cant think of what else to check/try.
Any ideas?

15 REPLIES 15
mathewlisett
Grafter

Re: And then it went sloooooowww

if you look on twitter you will find a [-Censored-] load of people with the same issue, weve had major issues from no connection, to random connections, to really nice speed and ping and then literally 3 seconds later no connection.

ive just woken up and tested the line and http://www.speedtest.net/result/7622480364  yep just another day of literally no connection and us having to spend money on our mobile phones for data plans.

gromit69
Grafter

Oh Sad

I was hoping I'd done something daft which I could fix. If this is part of a bigger problem, that's not good.

Has anyone from Plusnet towers made any noises?

mathewlisett
Grafter

not a clue, all i know is that others have had the same issue and plusnet during this time admitted there were issues, then they setup a support ticket so im waiting for the engineer etc to fix what ever needs fixing.

with this being said and if you have a pc and need a connection

https://www.facebook.com/MathewLisett/posts/10156557089821727 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

It's worth keeping in mind that our Facebook page is used as a channel for support and that means you'll only tend to see customer's with issues posting for support. 

@gromit69 I've tested your line and don't see any obvious issues, we're you connecting over WiFi when you tested the speeds? If so can you run a test over a cabled connection to the router to see how that compares? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gromit69
Grafter

Thanks @adamwalker - it MFI'd after I posted the original post. The tests were done on my desktop, which is wired.
I just wondered if this was part of some bigger congestion issue?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @gromit69,

I've tested your connection today and we can see that the downstream sync speed you're currently achieving is 68.2Mbps, which as you've said appears to be back to where it used to be. To be completely honest with you, it's unclear at this stage as to why you experienced this problem, however I can't see it being related to any other wider issues from what I've looked into today. Going forward it would be best to keep an eye out for any further issues and letting us know if they do arise, but the good news is that there's no reason to believe this will happen again. Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
mathewlisett
Grafter

in all honesty, i think as the bt engineer just said to me, i think it was plusnet messing about their end (which they will never admit to) because he showed me on his device when the connection was lost etc, and hes stated it would tell him that that would be plusnet fiddling.

which would then explain why quite a few people were effected, not only with their phone lines but their internet connection

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The BT man was just fobbing you off with a load of rubbish, what did he think PlusNet were doing.Roll_eyes

mathewlisett
Grafter

ok give me the reason that would be then since he should be what he was talking about. and according to him, its not the first time plusnet keep messing with settings to try resolve an issue, yet make a mess of it.

he stated he really wished plusnet would just let the guys get on with their job instead of constantly thinking they know best, when in fact plusnet are the reason to why customers are having problems.

and also according to him, every house he goes to thats with plusnet always have problems.

and if you go onto twitter and simply search plusnet you will see literally 99% of unahppy customers about connection etc

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

People only shout on social media when they have a problem, not when their service is good.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @mathewlisett

Thanks for coming back to us. I know from your other contact that the history with your connection has not been straightforward, but try to put your frustration to one side for a moment and think about what you've been advised logically.

Even if we had the means to "fiddle from our end" why would we want to? The only outcome from us deliberately tampering with your line would be your dissatisfaction, man hours dealing with that dissatisfaction, an engineer which we pay for and a refund of your downtime which adds to our loss of revenue. Why would we put ourselves and you, our customer in that situation?

I can assure you that we'd never intentionally make any changes to your line that would have a detrimental effect on your connection. There are many things that can affect the speed (and stability) of your connection but our direct interaction with your line is not one of them. 

As always, if you encounter further problems just drop us a line and we'll be happy to help.

Best wishes,

Dave

mathewlisett
Grafter

logically, its very logical.

you like to try and fix the issue when you see a fault, or if you need to adjust the speed for what ever reason. however trying to fix the fault (as it was found by plusnet themselves) then causes constant re connections or total down time for a period of time to try get the connection back to where plusnet deems fit. this in turn makes the customer complain because all they see is a [-Censored-]ty connection.

now im not saying what plusnet do is dodgy as hell, im simply aware that this is what they do do to try and resolve a matter as quickly as possible, only mistake they do with this is by not informing the customer whats going to likely happen over a period of time, if they did this the customer wouldnt feel the need to report issues where the issue of no connection is infact plusnet trying to resolve the fault.

so where you lot might not like me picking at plusnet, its got [-Censored-] all to do with our rough history with our connection even though plusnet are only slightly better than bt at this point ever since we joined,  what ive said and what the engineer stated is very logical, just wish plusnet would infact be more transparent  about it rather than try to be secretive and deny something that could very much be them trying to do something good but ending up making them look bad.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

in all honesty, i think as the bt engineer just said to me, i think it was plusnet messing about their end (which they will never admit to) because he showed me on his device when the connection was lost etc, and hes stated it would tell him that that would be plusnet fiddling.

This doesn't sound right because as an ISP we don't have any tools to make a change to FTTC circuits in the way you're suggesting. 

you like to try and fix the issue when you see a fault, or if you need to adjust the speed for what ever reason. however trying to fix the fault (as it was found by plusnet themselves) then causes constant re connections or total down time for a period of time to try get the connection back to where plusnet deems fit. this in turn makes the customer complain because all they see is a [-Censored-]ty connection.

We don't have any control over sync. It's simply the physical link between your cabinet and your property.

While we can manually change the speed profile on your account this would only affect throughput and due to the way your connection(and the majority) route across our network, this profile doesn't actually restrict your throughput.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mathewlisett
Grafter

he used the same tools as he or any of them would use to test the line. he then  brought our another device which ive seen plenty of time and after a while stated there we go ive reset it to essential default and showed me the initial speed and the final speed, and it was perfect. 

in any case,the connection has been pitiful when on at times especially the initial important part which is shown via pages /media etc loading slowly

or connection to the net is completely not there which is what many suffered over the weekend including monday, and happened last night aswell. it lost connection, tried several times to re connect and when it did, it dropped again and this lasted for well over 30 minutes