Did you mean: 

Amber power & red Broadband

FIXED
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Amber power & red Broadband

Just to clear a few things up.

Outage here for one and a half hours (01:00-02:30). Yesterday also for 45mins (01:00-01:45). As usual there's nothing on the service status page or any info' on planned maintenance.

I wasn't ignoring your post Tench. I'm actually glad you joined in Smiley

Is the line a recent conversion from ADSL to Fibre ?

Nope, it's been FTTC since Dec 16

Hi There,  During the early ours of the morning there are sometimes engineering works where the several connections are taken offline to maintain the network, normally these last for no more than an hour.

That's fair enough I guess, but where's the info on your service status page(s)?

You have failed to answer the very significant point raised

This is something that being a relative newbie to PN, seems to be an issue I've come across a few times now. As a paying customer I do like to know what's going on (or off!!) and why 'things' happen.

To be honest this is not something that we would be able to determine as we are not made aware of what work has been carried out on the BT Wholesale/Openreach network during any maintenance sessions.

Do PN know for sure it was BTw/O? Shouldn't they forewarn their customers, which in turn PN should tell their customers. When it went off (without warning) I could have wrongly assumed it was in my house and ripped half the wiring to pieces.

If there has been any impact to the FTTC service we can certainly look into this as an issue.

I've been told by some at PN Towers that the upload will be looked at, but sadly these poor souls are wrong as in my case (see my miffed comment above and the link) it's not something PN would investigate - shame really.

Is it not possible that the low upload is being affected by the seeming existence of a stray ADSL signal ?

Sounds plausible to me

Thanks all for your contributions. Hope nobody takes offence as none is intended.

Now, for info:

BTw result on 28th at 01:40

28.06.18 at 01.40.PNG

Another 24 hours later

29.06.18 at 01.40.PNG

(note max achievable d/l v actual d/l - which happens from time to time anyway).

For my connection

hub and dsl.PNG

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @DS,

Thanks for getting back to us with this info. When we test the line from our side everything currently appears to be working fine and the only cause for concern is the low upload speed, which is as your post demonstrates, lower than the estimated upload speeds.

Whilst it should be note that we don't support a minimum guaranteed upload speed as we do with the download speeds, we are more than happy to investigate the upload speed issue as a fault though, again, I would stress that we can't always guarantee the upload will improve after an engineer visit.

If this is something you would like to do, please let us know and we can continue to progress this issue and begin to arrange for an engineer visit, but I would also ask that before we go down this route that our troubleshooting guides are followed out to rule out any internal issues before an engineer goes round.

These troubleshooting guides can be found here and here.

Please let us know how you get on with this and if you want to progress the investigation of the fault if the issue still occurs after carrying out all of the troubleshooting steps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

When we test the line from our side everything currently appears to be working fine

Any idea when that was, because.....

...back in May I had this when trying to watch something on Youtube

may.PNG

(I've included the date it was taken, just to prove it was genuine and not photo shopped recently)

...today, for most of this afternoon and well in to the evening, the YT message reappeared

june.PNG

(again I've included the date stamp)

So, based on this I did try to find a YT speed tester, google came up with this, which I used and found the following

random tester.PNG

Based on the above, I then carried out a BTw speed test (via EthernetWink ) and got this

29.06.18 at 23.11.PNG

and the only cause for concern is the low upload speed, which is as your post demonstrates, lower than the estimated upload speeds.

And herein lies a problem. I nearly went down the route of an engineer appointment before, but the threat of £65 if no fault was found put me off.

we are more than happy to investigate the upload speed issue as a fault though

Again, I ave no idea why some of you guys will, yet others won't/don't. It's very inconsistent and baffles me completely. I am grateful that you have offered to look at this

If this is something you would like to do, please let us know and we can continue to progress this issue and begin to arrange for an engineer visit

the charge for no fault, or the fault being in my property worries me. You may not know this (but it's already on these forums somewhere), but Quinns (contractor for Openreach) trashed MY wiring to complete HIS install - my phone extension is now hard wired to the drop wire, thus it was mine, but is now 'owned' by BT. The very last engineer was dumbfounded and if he wasn't being rushed for his next job then he'd have ripped it out and wired directly to the last master socket Quinns fitted (which was originally an extension socket - of which Quinns nicked my perfectly good faceplate and back box!!).

Therefore my gut feeling is I'll get stitched up even though this isn't really my fault.

Anyway, I'll go through the troubleshooting guides when I get chance.

phew!!

DS
Seasoned Champion

Using the provided links:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Dialing 17070, then opting for a QLT - I actually here <edit hear very faint staticShocked - though this could be due to our BT branded cordless phone (we no longer have corded, but may be able to borrow one) or noise filtering on the ear piece (it was very expensive when it was new) or possibly something on the line. I suffer with tinnitus so it even be that!Ticked_off

I couldn't plug the power adapter into any of the ethernet ports on the PNH1* and certainly couldn't plug the ethernet cable into the power jack, nor would the dsl phone cable fit in either of the ethernet ports or power jack, so I'm confident the right cables are in the right place. Wink

It's a MK3 VDSL faceplate and atm I can't find any microfilters to test in the 'true' test point (true being the actual test point on the main faceplate, not the 'test' point on the MK3 faceplate). IIRC it was a later design of the MK3 faceplate, so it 'should' be okay.

No idea how you actually test a microfilter (as in correctly analyse it's input and output using a suitable tester/meter). Having said that the guide does say I don't need one if it's a double socket.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

That could do with a rewrite, to incorporate the VDSL faceplates and where the true test point is on the said faceplates imho.

*anyone know if these are a bleached BTHH4 or (as I think it is) a bleached BTHH5a, possibly even a type 5b.

We did see a cheap TPLink in a supermarket earlier, but wasn't sure if it's worth buying a non ISP supplied router now.

Another BTw test carried out just after 01:00 was 20.53 d/l and 2.58 u/l

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

- my phone extension is now hard wired to the drop wire,

That's not going to help matters! You do have the phone connected through a microfilter don't you ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @DS,

Thanks for carrying out the troubleshooting checks. As you've mentioned that you can hear a faint static on the phone line I'd recommend checking this side of things as a bit further - either by borrowing a corded phone from somebody or by testing your phone handset in a different property to see if the static is still there.

Thanks for your feedback regarding the "testing from the master socket" guide - I'll pass this on as I agree that it would be helpful to have something in there that covers VDSL faceplates, given how common these are these days. If you can't find a microfilter to carry out the check from the test socket we can send one out for you if you'd like? There'd be no charge for this but it may take 3-5 working days to arrive - please let us know if you'd like us to order one for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

That's not going to help matters! You do have the phone connected through a microfilter don't you ?

@MisterW No, but let me try an explain....

I actually have 3 master sockets - 1 'owned' by NTL (now VM), but this is no longer wired*

Next to the above is 1 older type BT NTE, the main wires from the dropwire (a&b) go to this socket, but are not terminated in to the a&b terminals

1 new BT VDSL MK3, the a&b wires in the older BT socket are gel crimped and connect directly to my extension wiring, thus turning it in to an extension of the drop wire. This socket therefore obviously uses my extension wiring.

The remaining phone sockets located elsewhere were 'killed' by Quinns as they are still in the older BT master socket.

*I rewired the extensions back into the older master socket (years before the BT infinity fibre install)

Shh, don't tell anybody, but I may or may not make the original BT socket the new VDSL, wire my extensions back in and run a cat5e (or cat6) cable from this socket to where the PNH1 is located (other side of the room) Wink (RJ45 connectors fit the RJ11 socket)

@EmilyD no problem and yes I'll test via a corded phone.

Yes please could you send another microfilter. I know I have lots of them somewhere but sadly can't find them!! If and when they turn up hopefully the Openreach modem is with them as from reading a few posts on here it gives me the impression that the connection is a lot more stable when used with this modem, rather than relying on the hubs built in modem.

Another option is for PN to push the 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 hub firmware to see if this helps....?

I'm away from home from tomorrow morning until Friday evening, but somebody will be here (or a neighbour if a signature is required). Upon my return there should be a corded phone waiting.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@DS Ahh, I see now, the old NTE isn't used at all really, it's just effectively a junction box!. In that case, if your extension cable is good quality twisted pair and not too long then I'll be surprised if it is making that much difference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've had a fault on my line, and in case it helps this is what I did.

Noise on my line, could even hear it through the dial tone but tried 17070 option 2 quiet line. Still noise.

I've got cordless phones which are getting on a bit now (circa 2006) and don't have a wired one.

I suspected it was a line fault, but wasn't sure. I took my phones over to my parents (they don't live far from me). So another 17070 later, no noise. So then I am thinking it is not my phones then.

Called out a BT Openreach engineer who quickly found out the problem was the pole opposite the my house. Don't know what he did, but it only took him 45 minutes and the problem was fixed.

No charge as it was outside my property, but he was very good and I gave him a bit of money and said "Thank you and get a drink for yourself with that".

Fair enough I think.

DS
Seasoned Champion

@MisterW yep, just a junction box. All internal wiring is BT/Openreach supplied and fitted. Although it's old (20+ years old), it seems to be in good order, plus it's only about 5 metres in length. The wires are behind the skirting so there's no chance they could be impact damaged.

@Alex Thanks for replying. I've had to put things on hold fttb. I'll explain in a moment and there's no obligation to read it, as some might find it upsetting.

@EmilyD wrote:  If you can't find a microfilter ... we can send one out for you if you'd like? There'd be no charge for this but it may take 3-5 working days to arrive - please let us know if you'd like us to order one for you.

DS wrote: Yes please could you send another microfilter.

No filter ever arrived from PN Sad

At this point I'd like to thank those that have contributed thus far to this thread.

I'm away from home from tomorrow morning until Friday evening

Here's an explanation, some of you may wish to stop reading now.

Got back Friday evening (06th). A cheap as chips corded phone was purchased on Saturday morning. But I didn't feel great from Saturday afternoon (07th) to Sunday (15th), which I assumed was simply a long version of man flu (as us blokes know, man flu is by far the worst flu ever!!), so was unable to test with corded phone. I now also have a secondhand microfilter, dropped off by a neighbour about a week ago, though it's untested. On Monday (16th), I had a heart attack. After an angioplasty I was released late on Thursday. I need to rest, so will pick this up again if/when I'm able too. I'm not ignoring future contributions, but need to step away and will reply at some point. Thanks.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @DS

I'm really sorry to hear this. I too wish you have a speedy recovery.

Disappointed that we didn't send you a free micro-filter as promised, I've passed feedback on about that.

I've ordered the micro-filter now so you'll receive it within the next few days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sorry to hear that @DS, I have been through that with a family member.

Get well soon, and when you do please post back on here.

Yourself is more important of course, but we'd all like to sort out your broadband issue when it is ready for you.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks @Browni, @Gandalf and @Alex Smiley

There is some good news and some worrying news -

Good is that a stent has 'fixed' one part of the heart

Bad is that I've been found to also have heart disease - some mild and some moderate.... Sad

The cause and a message to all is that stress has been the primary factor!!

There's also some good news and bad regarding PN too -

Good is that a new microfilter arrived a week or so ago (thanks Gandalf)

Bad is, well, have a look:

BT DSL have 'adjusted their figures'

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=141069629

CSC Analyst 10:39am, Thursday 5 Jan 2017

BT DSL:
Download
High 32.4
Low 24
Upload
High 6.8
Low 4.7

As of today (13 August 2018 ) - edit to remove the sunglasses smiley!!
BT DSL:
Download
High 32.2 - a 0.2 drop
Low 21.8 - a 2.2 drop
Upload
High 5.5 - a 1.3 drop
Low 3.3 - a 1.3 drop

A BTw test carried out several hours ago gave:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
  24.02 Mbps

0 Mbps 26.32 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 24.02 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-26.32 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 26.32 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  1.02 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.02Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

And the hub shows these:

01:17:52, 28 Jun. ( 2647.720000) PTM over DSL is up
01:10:31, 28 Jun. ( 2206.500000) ATM over DSL is down after 11 minutes uptime
01:10:31, 28 Jun. ( 2206.490000) ETHoA is down after 11 minutes uptime

01:36:17, 28 Jun. ( 3752.080000) PTM over DSL is up
01:35:45, 28 Jun. ( 3719.430000) PTM over DSL is down after 0 minutes uptime
01:35:33, 28 Jun. ( 3708.080000) PTM over DSL is up
01:34:14, 28 Jun. ( 3628.630000) PTM over DSL is down after 16 minutes uptime
01:34:14, 28 Jun. ( 3628.620000) PPPoE is down after 15 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

05:51:09, 15 Jul. (1487815.700000) PTM over DSL is up
05:50:37, 15 Jul. (1487783.850000) PTM over DSL is down after 24733 minutes uptime
05:50:37, 15 Jul. (1487783.840000) PPPoE is down after 24732 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

10:41:51, 16 Jul. (1591656.560000) PTM over DSL is up
10:41:19, 16 Jul. (1591624.640000) PTM over DSL is down after 1730 minutes uptime
10:41:19, 16 Jul. (1591624.640000) PPPoE is down after 1729 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

16:53:51, 17 Jul. (1700374.690000) PTM over DSL is up
16:53:20, 17 Jul. (1700342.990000) PTM over DSL is down after 1811 minutes uptime
16:53:20, 17 Jul. (1700342.990000) PPPoE is down after 1810 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

17:01:15, 17 Jul. (1700818.320000) PTM over DSL is up
17:00:42, 17 Jul. (1700785.540000) PTM over DSL is down after 6 minutes uptime
17:00:42, 17 Jul. (1700785.530000) PPPoE is down after 5 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

07:24:42, 18 Jul. (1752623.830000) PTM over DSL is up
07:24:10, 18 Jul. (1752592.140000) PTM over DSL is down after 862 minutes uptime
07:24:10, 18 Jul. (1752592.130000) PPPoE is down after 862 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

15:23:56, 21 Jul. ( 128.270000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=27189Kbps, Up Rate=2223Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.3dB, Up=5.9dB
15:23:07, 21 Jul. ( 79.130000) PTM over DSL is up
15:22:23, 21 Jul. ( 35.530000) WAN Auto-​sensing running.

17:22:05, 13 Aug. (1994380.400000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=27295Kbps, Up Rate=1498Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.3dB, Up=6.0dB
17:20:38, 13 Aug. (1994293.680000) PTM over DSL is down after 33236 minutes uptime
17:20:38, 13 Aug. (1994293.670000) PPPoE is down after 33236 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

6. Data rate: 1498 / 27295
7. Maximum data rate: 1498 / 27768
8. Noise margin: 6.0 / 3.6

So it's still dropping randomly, the BT DSL estimates have been lowered and so's the blinking u/l speed too. Thanks for that!!

Still to test. I will, when I can.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @DS

Thanks for getting in touch.

Firstly, I'm pleased to hear that the operation has alleviated some of the health issues you're experiencing. Our best wishes from all at Plusnet for the remaining concerns - hope treatment and recovery both go well.

Secondly, I've checked your line this morning and concur that the upload speed is still lower than we'd expect.

When you're feeling up to it, I'd probably recommend re-raising a fault here so that we can ask BTW to investigate this on your behalf.

Godspeed and good wishes.

Dave