cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am IP Profile limited?

feeps
Grafter

Am IP Profile limited?

Howdy, as the title says, how do you know if you're IP Profile limited?

Been with PN for about 6 months now, happy with them so far, used to be on Sky where I was sync'd at 62mb although never achieved that on PN, 55mb being the highest Sad It is a shame BT have only just added in the recent speed check thing into their ADSL Checker tool!

I seem to have sync'd at 45mb in the router stats but when doing speed tests from a wired computer it is around 33mb. So upon checking with BT Wholesale checker (which isn't the most reliable thing) it says my IP profile is 39mb.

So I was wondering if someone could see if a) I am IP profile limited b) post up a GEA test to see if there are any faults?

btchecker.jpgbtspeedtest.jpgnetwork adapter.jpg

sync.jpg

Geek, Photographer, Gamer.
14 REPLIES 14
feeps
Grafter

Re: Am IP Profile limited?

sync9pm.jpg

Update : 9pm automated re-sync (which my line never normally does!) My line is stable as a rock normally and only when the BT Hub 6 forces a reboot after 2 weeks is the only time it re-syncs, and even then connects at back at the same speed of 55mb. Granted 9pm is a peak time so more noise etc etc, but as mentioned in the last sentence, my line is usually rock stable @ 55mb on the 3db profile.

Question is, why has my line dropped from 55mb to 42mb in last few days? Knuppel 

Can someone post up what @Jubby has posted up here for someone else but for me, thanks! Tongue

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Speed-drop-not-recovering/m-p/1615324#M90506

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch.

I've tested your line and attached the test results below

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 7.9 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 778.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ; 00:00 to 23:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-02-12T12:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 41.3 Mbps 56.9 Mbps 52.6 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 7.8 Mbps 8.2 Mbps 8.0 Mbps
Up Time 735.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.6 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-02-25T11:57:51Z 2019-02-25T12:12:51Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

We can see that the sync speeds are varying quite a bit so I'd recommend raising a fault here and posting back once you've done this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
feeps
Grafter

Thanks for the reply @MatthewWheeler

Raised : 187803010

PS the "min line speed" and est range speed goes out of the window for this because I already sync higher than the max BT seem to think I can sync at. See first post on my original post on migrating :

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Potential-Speed-Migrating-Customer/m-p/1560867

I did have an issue recently on the Openreach side of things, where I had alot of FEC and CRC errors, so my SNR gradually increased to 8db and speed gradually decreased over about a 4 month perioud, going from 62 to 59 to 52 to 49 and then 43 (and 6mb up) which is at the point I called Sky to raise a fault (on a Monday), who were really good and got an OR engineer out the next day (a Tuesday).

When Openreach rocked up, he did the usual tests, installed a nice new master socket (5C) and fixed the errors by changing something in the cab, returned to find it wasn't any better sync by no errors, did a DLSM reset and also a lift and shift to save OR coming out a second time. When he came back, ran a test via his tool, was synced at 42mb, did another DLSM reset, same speed. 

He didn't believe I used to sync at 62mb (for about 2 years!) as his tool was saying the max I could ever get was 45mb (which is what BTs tool says online). I said to him I was on 49mb on the Friday (he was at mine on the Tuesday)

I guess the only thing that has changed from that post 6 months ago is improvements to BT estimate speed tool, now shows a higher max speed (from 45 upped to 50) and the "this customer has previously sync'd at X speed" to help in issues like this! 

Regards,

feeps

feeps
Grafter

Ps @MatthewWheeler what does this mean?

Also : https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

This used to say Current line speed:78 Mb, but now it says Current line speed:36 Mb

Huh

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us.

I beileve the estimates are updated every now and then based on how the line is performing and how the line has performed in the past.

With regards to the interference observed part of the test I believe this shows on most if not all lines. I'd imagine there's very few homes in the country that don't have some form of interference however as per the test it doesn't appear to be affecting your service.

In terms of the current line profile when your line goes active it's set to the highest profile possible based on which product you've chosen. After a while it should change to match the BT IP Profile

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
feeps
Grafter

So, the original question, am I IP profile limited? Smiley

I see the ticket I’ve raised has had a few updates, escalations and taken off hold, the one that that stands out, “Our tests have found a fault with your broadband service” but the GEA test didn’t show anything? Care to divulge what this issue might be?

Regards,
Feeps
feeps
Grafter

A reboot of the router this morning brought the sync speed back up to around what it should be 55-57mb.

sync26th9am.jpg

But when doing a speed test via Ookla or BT it shows it is still capped at 33-34mb?

My BT IP profile has jumped to 50mb now over night.

speedtest26th.jpgbtspeedtest26th.jpg

To make sure it wasn't a HTTP issue, I tried FTP transfer also giving a max of 4.0mb/s (equating to about 32-33mb sync), and then to make sure it wasn't my PC (i9 9900k / 16gb ram / 1gb lan) I tried my iPhone 7 Plus, which again showed 33mb on a speed checker via wireless.

I am scratching my head. Huh

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @feeps 

No, you're not limited or banded - a fresh GEA shows your Profile Name as 0.128-80M Downstream & 0.128-20M Upstream 

I've looked at the fault update via our Suppliers system and it shows; 

"Fibre Line Test showing ok, No sign of Radio interference identified however interference at irregular intervals are observed. Regular Interference Observed daily from 00:00 to 23:45 at Customer Premise. Please liaise directly with your customer to identify possible source in home / office environment. If problem persists, please book an SFI via your usual systems" 

Basically, it's asking me to double check the home environment with you and asking if you can think of anything which would cause interference? 

Thanks, 

MoR

feeps
Grafter

Hi @MasterOfReality

Basically, it's asking me to double check the home environment with you and asking if you can think of anything which would cause interference? 

This is contradicting what @MatthewWheeler said when I asked what it was and put "all homes have it, its not effecting your service". 

If it is, then where would it stem from? Where would the interference be effecting the line? At the entry to the house, the master socket, the micro filter, the RJ cable, or the router? 

I've made sure there are no electrical wires or extension cables near the micro filter, RJ or router to minimise any interference from day 1, the only thing within 4ft is the TV? The house phone is about 5ft away and always has been.

Some guidance or links to other forum posts with the same issues would be appreciated.

Regards,

feeps

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @feeps, thanks for getting back to us.

Put simply, interference can come from just about any electrical appliance and can be affecting just about any piece of the infrastructure. It's really not the easiest thing to narrow down.

I've checked on the ongoing fault and we're now being told that we're going to need to get an engineer to attend your premises.

You'll shortly receive an update on your ongoing fault ticket which we do need a response to. If you can let us know here when you've replied to the ticket we'll be able to progress to booking it in ASAP for you.

Please let us know if you need anything else at all in the meantime.

feeps
Grafter

Hi @OskarPapa

This morning I moved everything away and unplugged everything from the sockets leaving just the router on its on on the floor plugged in, so nothing electrical was around it, made surethe power wire to the router wasn't wrapped around the RJ11 cable etc, rebooted the router, I might add that since rebooting the other day, been rock stable with the sync at 57mb on 3db profile, anyhow, rebooted the router (gave it a few mins downtime to save the DLM thinking the line was unstable), and sync'd back at 57mb on 3db profile, did a speed test, still 34mb.

Not liking the idea about getting out an engineer and having to pay for it based on the ticket information,let me have a think over the weekend and will get back to you.

Regards,
feeps

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @feeps, thanks for confirming that you've done all that.

With regards a charge - it'd only be levied against the account if no fault was found or the issue was found to be caused by your own setup or if there is damage to Openreach infrastructure within the boundary of your property.

I can certainly appreciate your concerns though. If you'd like to update us here and on the ticket when you've made a decision.

feeps
Grafter

Hi @OskarPapa @MatthewWheeler 

The original problem went away eventually where it seemed I was capped at 34mb even though I was sync'd higher but I was just wondering if I could get a new GEA test to make sure all was okay.

Since posting in Feb, my upload speed has gradually decreased and went to below 6mb the other day, a reboot brought it back up to 6.3mb. I was on 8mb upload back in Feb, 2mb doesn't sound like a right lot but it is the pattern of the gradual decrease overtime that is making me scratch my head. 

Only had a few resyncs in the past month, the rest have been me trying to reboot the router early hours to sync at a faster rate, I was at 62mb a few weeks ago (wish I screen capped the bt dsl checker saying this too) but now down to around 52-55.

Ta!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cheers for getting back to us,

Here's a copy of our testing:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 51.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.3 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 797.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Observed In Days 14
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-07-02T16:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 51.8 Mbps 54.1 Mbps 52.7 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 5.9 Mbps 6.3 Mbps 6.2 Mbps
Up Time 622.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.2 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-07-15T14:26:43Z 2019-07-15T14:41:43Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Looks like your speeds have improved and you're now on a 3dB profile. Your upload speeds while on the lower side of your line estimates, they're within expectations still.

I wouldn't really worry about the interference the test is seeing unless you're experiencing problems with your service. The response we got from our suppliers was just a standard/stock one based on the results of the test. 

Your connection also looks to be stable:

Probably worth just keeping an eye on things and hopefully your speeds go in the upward motion, but let us know if you notice your speeds drop below where we'd expect and we'll be happy to look to arrange an engineer to investigate further.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet