Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I now Low Cost or not?

FIXED
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Am I now Low Cost or not?

I was with PlusNet for many years but was finally driven away by the Market A pricing scam. I am currently with BT and considering my options when the contract comes up for renewal.

My exchange (Great Shefford) is definitely Market A (see attached) and I presumed still outside the low cost area. But I wanted to check the current situation, so I started an Unlimited Fibre order, and am now completely confused.

When I progress the order I get a screen which states that I will be getting - Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband £10.00 (£10.00 a month for 12 months, then £20.99 thereafter) (also attached).

The Legal Bit on the website says "Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband £10.00 a month for the first 12 months, current price from month 13 is £20.99 (or if you live outside a low cost area £17.50 a month for the first 12 months, current price from month 13 is £28.49 per month)"

So am I now in a low cost area - despite it being classified as market A? If so how (other than placing an order) am I supposed to know?

Or is the Your Order screen wrong, and If I complete the order will I at some point (after I have confirmed?) be hit with an additional £7.50 because of where I live? That would be close to fraudulent trading!

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Am I now Low Cost or not?

Earlier this year Plusnet regraded many exchanges at the same time as they increased costs prior to the official Ofcom announcement on regrading. I'm one of the lucky one's currently in a Market A area but paying the Market B price, so don't worry about it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wisty - According to my check the exchange SMSFD is Market 2.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Fix

The latest list of exchanges in each market are in Annex 1 of the Wholesale Broadband Access review documents:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/wholesale-broadband-access-market-r...

SMSFD is in the Market B list.

You're quite right calling it a "scam" considering FTTC doesn't have different costs between Market A and Market B. Ofcom did recently start regulating the Openreach wholesale price for 40/10 FTTC (from the Wholesale Local Access review), that applies everywhere.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Mook, EJS - sorry you have the wrong exchange.

I am on Great Shefford THGRS in West Berkshire, not 

not Shefford SMSFD in Bedfordshire.

However thanks for the appendix 1 pointer, it does appear to show THGRS as now being Market B

It would be nice if this information was LITTLE easier to find - possibly a list on PlusNet's website!! They clearly have such a list.

Any idea when PlusNet changed their categorisation? Sam Knows still says Market 1

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@wisty wrote:

Any idea when PlusNet changed their categorisation? Sam Knows still says Market 1

My price was reduced in June but until this report is implemented i’m still officially in a Market A area.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'