cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being throttled?

jmcgough
Grafter

Am I being throttled?

I will be upfront I have downloaded an exceptional amount of data over the last few days (and I mean exceptional), having recieved a new desktop I could install all my games on steam.
Bizarrely for the last 2 days or so my download speeds seem to have been impacted
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1450123250805085055
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4915375073
Its avg under 40Mb, are there problems in the Manchester area again?
37 REPLIES 37
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Am I being throttled?

Quote from: jmcgough
I have downloaded an exceptional amount of data over the last few days (and I mean exceptional),

Really? Exceptional is hundreds of GB every day (God knows what people do with all the stuff they download!).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jmcgough
Grafter

Erm well lets just say 52 origin games, 242 steam games, 3 uplay games later I used this much......
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12359919_978061617345_2404191322546579413...
This is my highest ever usage.....normally average around 600GB a month.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: jmcgough
normally average around 600GB a month.

How on earth do you manage to use that?  Shocked
We used to struggle to use 15GB. I just logged into the portal to find we've used 30GB so far this month  Shocked
Weird thing is although I do like the internet (as do we all), I don't actually visit that many sites to use that sort of bandwidth... though this month was rather youtube'd due to a new fibre connection  Cheesy
But seriously.. 600GB?  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 7up
But seriously.. 600GB?  Shocked

That's peanuts these days, I do over 500GB a month without even trying, many are in the terabytes.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

No throttling and nothing obviously wrong with your connection. That was an impressive amount of usage yesterday, nearly matching my highest in a day when I was back on Fibre Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Chris
...nearly matching my highest in a day when I was back on Fibre Wink

Lips_are_sealed Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Impressive Bob!  I note the billing period 'to date' was over approx. 14 days with approx. 2TB downloaded over the 4 day period shown!
I'm guessing as it was for a 'Staff ADSL' account that you used your login credentials on a fibre connection of some sort (at least for part of the billing period) to achieve the daily amounts shown?
I don't suppose you were on the 'Badboys pipe' years ago?  Cheesy
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

All this heavy use and large numbers tell me that the infrastructure needs to grow along with expected speeds, that's big investment, meanwhile all we see are cut-price deals for Broadband. I hope that there's enough ongoing investment and sufficient profit to make that worthwhile, but I wonder if that's the case.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: danludlow
All this heavy use and large numbers tell me that the infrastructure needs to grow along with expected speeds
Nah, we've only heard about three users. Most people don't download anything like that amount:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7249-openreach-publishes-a-little-information-on-data-use-across-...
"The reality that data consumption is not uniform is shown by the 25/75 split, and this suggests that the average for the top 25% is 253GB per month with the larger 75% of users averaging out at 21GB per month"
It's always been this way. The so-called 'heavy' users have always been a pain in the buttocks for ISPs. They are the ones who back in the days of yore were clamouring for then overloading 0800 dial-up numbers. They are the ones who whine about throughput speeds that are perfectly adequate for most people. They are ones who scream about usage allowances.
To be fair there is a trickle down effect. In choosing to accommodate the minority of heavy users ISPs and CPs have been pushed to provide a better service for all. But I'm always wary of people complaining about broadband provision because a lot of the time it's someone trying to replicate the entire internet or act as the UK's (if not the world's) primary source for bit torrents  Roll_eyes
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

One thing this thread has shown me is im clearly not getting my moneys worth and need to start downloading more Grin
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Interesting statistics Andrue, thanks. I like the idea of unlimited use tariff but compared to heavy users it seems I'm barely making use of the service.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: RobPN
I'm guessing as it was for a 'Staff ADSL' account that you used your login credentials on a fibre connection of some sort (at least for part of the billing period) to achieve the daily amounts shown?

Yeah, it was an 80/20 circuit. I was testing the Unlimited product ahead of launch. There were several usage resets during the time I was testing which is why you can only see four day's of usage totalled. IIRC the running total for that two week period was approaching 15TB Shocked
Quote from: RobPN
I don't suppose you were on the 'Badboys pipe' years ago?   Cheesy

Moi?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Now I feel like it's a challenge to beat Bob's usage, I was pulling around 3TB a week at one point on 80/20, mainly a media server and some web apps, got 2 lines load balanced now, might have to see what it can really handle
Finguz
Grafter

I thought averaging around 600-800GB per month was a lot.
I must find more stuff I don't really need  Crazy