cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative DNS providers

Curious1

Alternative DNS providers

Hi, can anyone tell me if you are able to use alternative DNS providers such as Google or OpenDNS with Plusnet fibre? Changing settings on the phone or iPad would be fine, wouldn’t need to change it at router level - I used to be able to do this with Sky but then they changed something and now it defaults to Sky DNS regardless of settings on other devices. Thanks!
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Alternative DNS providers

Yes, you can change DNS provider. The Plusnet supplied router doesnt have the ability, but if you have your own router which does then you can do it there ( I do ), but it's possible to change it on each device as you suggest.

Plusnet Safeguard will not be available if you use a different DNS provider though.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

It’s my understanding that device DNS settings take priority over the router settings. Consequently if you wish to use the router selected DNS then devices that have the capability to select an alternative DNS, such as an IPad , are by default pointed to the router IP address in order to pick this up.

How do you know that Sky manages to block this function?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mrjabush
Hooked

Never mind - thanks anyway