Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost certain this won't work but...

Temrael
Grafter

Almost certain this won't work but...

Hi all,
I'm a new PlusNet customer as of Monday, I now have 80Mb fibre installed. Smiley
Although it's not a big house, we've got thick internal walls and consequently poor Wi-Fi where we need it most. I know there's a few ways of tackling this (swapping out the PlusNet  router for a third party one, adding a wireless accesspoint, using Powerline adaptors etc.) but as a first stab I wanted to look at just moving the PlusNet router to a more central location in the house to see if that helps.
I'm pretty sure the following won't work but just wanted to check... Smiley
Would the PlusNet fibre router work plugged into the BT Fibre modem via a gigabit switch?
If it would then I'd only need one cable from the location that has the switch and BT fibre modem to the router. If not then it means running two cables I guess.
Cheers,
Tem
5 REPLIES 5
Temrael
Grafter

Re: Almost certain this won't work but...

In case it helps anyone else... switch turned up today and whilst the router could see the BT modem and connect fine (providing a working wifi connection), other devices plugged into the switch couldn't see t'internet.
Two cables it is then (one from the PlusNet router to the BT modem and one from the PlusNet router to the switch).
Anonymous
Not applicable

First I'm not on fibre and have no knowledge of the kit involved, but I have done a bit of networking in my time.
In theory I see no reason as to why it would not work the way you suggest. Before you run cables try configuring a wired device to use a static IP address and make sure you give it the IP of the router as the gateway along with an appropriate IP address to match your network.
lf2k
Grafter

Quote from: Temrael
In case it helps anyone else... switch turned up today and whilst the router could see the BT modem and connect fine (providing a working wifi connection), other devices plugged into the switch couldn't see t'internet.

The modem doesn't "do" the internet bit as such - it needs the router to log you in.  So whilst the router can see the modem (and your wifi will work), you need to take the net connection from the router and put it on the switch (if you want other things plugged in to the switch to see the internet).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah yes I see where you're going with this. Based on what lf2k has said if you haven't done it already take the cable from the router (I assume LAN port)  and connect it back into the switch.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

One possible solution:
If you have a Huawei BT modem, it's possible to install unlocked firmware and then configure the Huawei as a 2 port modem router. You'll need to disable DHCP in the PN router but you can then place it at the end of your ethernet cable.
http://npr.me.uk/hg612.html