Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice re Openreach modem

FIXED
Advanced
Hooked

Advice re Openreach modem

When I first signed up about 10 years ago, we were supplied with a Netgear WNR1000v3 router and an Openreach modem (an Huawei LOL).

I stopped using the Netgear a while back and I am currently connecting using my Draytek 2860n using ethernet to the Openreach modem.

I believe I can plug the VDSL line into the 2860 and decommision the Openreach modem. Is this a good idea?

I was thinking I might be able to get some line stats from the Draytek which are not available on the Openreach modem.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Advice re Openreach modem

It seems a no brainer to me, ditch the Huawei modem and set the Draytek up as a modem/ router.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Fix

Hi @Advanced,

I'd have gotten rid of the Openreach modem the second you got the Draytek in my opinion (as that router is VDSL compatible from what I can tell). 

It's just an extra bit of equipment that could cause a problem, also they're not really supported any longer. 

It's worth noting you might need to change some of the settings in your Draytek as I imagine it will be set up in ADSL mode currently (with the OR modem doing the Fibre transmission). The fibre settings are here if you need them. 

hst125scorton1
Grafter

Sorry I'm jumping into here as I'm also looking at advice over the Openreach Modem and my own VDSL Router.. On looking I see the OpenReach Modem isn't needed and no longer supported I've had mine since 2016.. Last year I got a TP Link AC1900 Wireless Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Router VR900 V2, since a V3 has come about.. Should I ditch the OpenReach Modem for my VDSL/ADSL Router VR900?Huh

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @hst125scorton1, checking online indicates that the router you've mentioned has a build in Modem, so I believe you should be able to set this up without the old Openreach modem.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet