cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please

patti
Grafter

Advice please

Have now heard back from PN who want to send an OR engineer. I am a little concerned about this as I have read many posts here where the OR engineers have made matters worse. so I would really like to hear from others with good or bad experiences please. I am inc. a screen shot of their diagnosis and its their at the bottom of the page I would like some comments on please

"Fault is in AA. VP is green so shouldnt be causing as many problems as the customer is experincing and if its fine in the day then wouldn't of thought it was a wireless issue either."

Many thanks to you and for all your great help so far

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Image moved to private area as it contains CSA names.

11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Advice please

From a look at the fault report it would appear that your line is in good condition but you are complaining about low speed results

Are these speeds wired or wireless and if wireless you need to repeat the speed tests wired

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

To clarify the jargon:

AA - Awaiting appointment

VP - Virtual path

The notes are suggesting that there's not much network congestion.

Be interesting to see your reply to Jim's question about the wired/wireless.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
patti
Grafter

The speed tests are wireless because I have a Chromebook and it does not have an ethernet port for an ethernet cable. The speeds can be anywhere from 27 (top speed) Should be getting (38 meg) down to as low as 2 meg. I explained my set up to Plusnet  and also the Engineer when Fibre was installed last year and both assured me I would have no problems with speed... seems they may have been wrong. At first for a while it was very good

patti
Grafter

From what I have been reading as regards the erratic speeds I experience, if all looks to be good with my line, then could it be a congestion fault at certain times of day?and if so what can be done about this?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

there is a good chance that the speeds you are seeing are wireless related and nothing to do with your connection

patti
Grafter

Just spoken to PN, have arranged for OR Engineer to come Friday. The system appears to be looking ok so if there is a fault that is obscure fingers crossed he can locate it ..He can hardwire test it too.  Many thanks to everyone who has very kindly helped me with advice and their time. I will let you know what happens.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Did they mention a charge if the OR guy does not find a fault?

patti
Grafter

They have decided to cancel my Engineer as they can't see any obvious faults now.. I spoke to a guy in faults and he said best thing I can do is change to another channel, which I will try. If an engineer visits your premises and the fault is found to be caused by your equipment, internal wiring or as a result of damage to BT equipment a charge of £50 will apply.

patti
Grafter

I think they  might charge you if they don't find a fault but I'm not sure .. sorry

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You may be better to work out if you have an issue. Logging into the router troubleshooting/Helpdesk page and seeing what speeds you are connecting with, and how long the connection has been up.

You could also install a Wi-Fi analyser app, look at what other routers are broadcasting in your area, and making sure yours is broadcasting on the least used channel to reduce the chances of interference.

Finally how are you measuring your speeds? Speed checks via Wi-Fi are notoriously inconsistent, they will be impacted by all sorts, not least other users on the same network. 

patti
Grafter

I've downloaded Wifi analyzer and I'm on channel 1. It advises 12,13 or 14 (my Router only has 13 channels so I don't know why it is suggesting 14) anyway I'm keeping an eye on it. I test my speeds with Ookla and Thinkbroadband and also BT wholesale (not sure if the BT one is worth it though, as it requires a hardwire which my Chromeboook cant do. Another thing the Plusnet guy advised was to get another Router, a Netgear. It's all wifi only here and that, they say ,is the problem and it will dip in and out... my only other option is to buy another laptop if I want consistent and reliable speeds. If only I had known all this at the start...