cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please

patti
Grafter

Advice please

I have a Netplus router and am wondering if a more powerful router would help my speeds. I have been looking at the TP- TD-W9980 Wireless Modem Router. Recommendations would be much appreciated. I have a Chromebook and a tablet and my daughter the same. Many thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
patti
Grafter

Re: Advice please

* that should say Plusnet!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

There's a useful list of Fibre modem/routers with reviews etc here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scottymc
Grafter

Hi mate
I've got the TP-link and I get a better connection out of the PlusNet hub...5 meg better sometimes more, when I first got fibre I tried one for a couple of weeks then the other started with the hub one, It run at my max sync speed stayed the same the whole time while in use put the tplink on dropped by 10meg over the 2weeks it managed to get 5meg back....
But as soon as put the hub one back in it went straight back up to my original speed ...
The TP-link has slightly better WiFi, but not much...

There maybe different/better routers out there but I'm happy with the PlusNet supplied one...
patti
Grafter

Thank you very much for the info Smiley

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I assume you mean a more powerful wifi.

If you have the Plusnet Hub One, that's not generally considered as being poor for wifi, before you go spending money on a new router it may be worth trying to optimize what you've got.

eg.

2.4 GHz wifi will travel further and go through walls better than 5 GHz

Try different channels 1 , 6 and 11 on 2.4 GHz

see http://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

patti
Grafter

Thank you. I don't have the Hub 1 my Router is older. Could you please guide me through changing channels. Also, how do I ascertain whether others are using the same channel? Many thanks.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Patti

For a good free tool to check out which WiFi channels are being used, go to the Google Playstore and install "Wifi Analyzer" by farproc

As for how to change channels, a lot depends on which Plusnet router you have. You can find Plusnet's User guides here (which has a picture of each type of router so you can pick by just clicking on the correct picture)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
patti
Grafter

Hi SpendLesssTime and thank you so much. I have a 2704N. Will download that app.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hi Patti

There is a video from the Plusnet guide in the section marked "How do I change my WiFi settings" . This shows how to change the WiFi channel on the router among other things. Just follow the video instruction to change the channel only. I've added the link to the video for the 2704N here as well

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
patti
Grafter

Hi SpendLessTime, thank you for your help, much appreciated. The Wifi Analyzer is great!